GuideStar Announces Newly Expanded Membership Program
Foundations, Corporations, Donors, and Journalists Who Want to Support the Philanthropic Sector Offered New Tiers of GuideStar Privileges
Washington, DC—April 3, 2012— GuideStar, the leading source of nonprofit information, today announced the launch of its newly expanded Membership Program . The expanded privileges, new audiences, and tiered pricing structure are a result of more than seven months of research and testing led by Orr Associates, Inc. , a premier consultant to the nonprofit sector.
“We listened to a broad set of our partners, clients, and current members , who shared which services they’ve come to expect, and what they really want from us moving forward,” said Lauren Walinsky , GuideStar’s membership director. “What they told us is that they want us to continue providing free information to 99 percent of our users. They are willing to financially support that public service, and in exchange, they want better access to our comprehensive information and better visibility on our site. We are happy to provide this expanded Membership Program as an answer to all of these requests, and we are pleased to welcome new supporters into this community.”
Privileges of GuideStar’s new Membership Program include:
- Expertise on Demand – Of particular interest to journalists, members have access to thousands of experts who can help fill knowledge gaps about the nonprofit sector
- Sponsor Your Favorite Charity – Individual members can sponsor their favorite organizations’ nonprofit reports on GuideStar
- Sponsor Your Grantees’ Reports – Foundation and corporate members can sponsor their grantees’ nonprofit reports on GuideStar
- Insider Information – Members are the first to know about upcoming webinars, white papers, and product launches or updates, including complimentary “How To” webinars on GuideStar products and services
- Hands-On Help – Members get top response priority to questions about GuideStar programs and services, leveraging the power of Philanthropedia, and much more
- GuideStar Exchange – Foundation and corporate members can invite their grantees to join the GuideStar Exchange , a program designed to connect nonprofits with donors and funders
- Member Spotlight – All members have access to a quarterly update that highlights recent grants and accomplishments by our members
“We were thrilled to work with GuideStar on the creation of this new Membership Program,” stated Dick Walker , managing director of OAI and lead of the team that advised GuideStar. “With their enhanced structure and tiered services, both new and existing members will enjoy GuideStar’s renewed emphasis on stewardship and increased sharing of their high-quality, comprehensive nonprofit information.”
The new Membership Program supports GuideStar’s unique revenue model to focus on funding outside of the federal government, and to make sure it remains sustainable through economic fluctuations. GuideStar has set a financial goal of becoming 95 percent self-sustaining by the end of 2012.
“Our members and their financial support are vital to our work to revolutionize philanthropy and the nonprofit sector,” Bob Ottenhoff , president and CEO of GuideStar, stated. “Their membership provides them with access to their peers and key influencers in the nonprofit sector, and they can rely on us to help them make more informed funding and giving decisions.”
For more information about GuideStar’s Membership Program or for information about the different levels of support, please visit http://www.guidestar.org/rxg/about-us/support-guidestar/membership/index.aspx .
Lindsay J.K. Nichols
GuideStar, www.guidestar.org , connects people and organizations with information on the programs and finances of more than 1.8 million IRS-recognized nonprofits. GuideStar serves a wide audience inside and outside the nonprofit sector, including individual donors, nonprofit leaders, grantmakers, government officials, academic researchers, and the media.