Ground-breaking new book The Health Delusion provides a blueprint for health in the 21st Century...
...and exposes the shocking truths behind our diet, health and pharmaceutical industries
In The Health Delusion (Hay House, 4th June 2012, £12.99 pb), Glen Matten and Aidan Goggins bring together the wealth of compelling and exciting academic research into our health and make it accessible to all, in an unadulterated form. The authors have one simple aim: to bring you and your family better health. They not only reveal what has gone so horribly wrong with our collective health, but also show us how we can put it right. Combining their backgrounds in nutritional medicine and pharmacy, they set out a guide to achieving optimal health at every stage of life and for future generations to come, offering a detailed plan of the foods, supplements and lifestyle changes needed for total wellness.
In the 21st Century we are more health conscious than ever before, and have a wealth of information on healthy living at our disposal, as well as access to the incredible advancements of modern medicine. Yet despite all this, a stark fact remains: if you are a healthy adult in today’s society, you are in the minority. More than one in three people have cardiovascular disease, one in six has high cholesterol and an incredible six in every ten has raised blood pressure. One in ten has diabetes and nearly another four out of those ten are on the verge of getting it. If all that wasn’t bad enough, two out of every five people will be diagnosed with cancer at some stage in their lives.
Surprisingly, many of the answers to these modern-day epidemics of chronic disease are already within our grasp. The problem is that much of the research carried out into our health remains stuck in the world of academia or gets distorted by the media, self-proclaimed health gurus or the food industry. This book cuts through the misinformation to expose the shocking truths behind our diet, health and pharmaceutical industries, looking at how they consistently put our health in jeopardy in favour of boosting profits. The authors demonstrate how the media compounds these problems by overloading us with information, often misleading us in the process, and reveal how outdated the official advice we receive on health and diet really is. Packed with the latest scientific research, The Health Delusion provides the blueprint for achieving exceptional health in the 21st Century.
‘At last,learn the truth about how badly "the system" is lying about your diet. A must read!’ Dr Georges Mouton
The Health Delusion: How to Achieve Exceptional Health in the 21st Century by Glen Matten & Aidan Goggins is published by Hay House on 4th June 2012, £12.99 paperback, also available as an e-Book.
Watch The Health Delusion video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEhfeisZexQ&feature=youtu.be
Key topics include:
- Why, despite living in a golden age of medical advancement, we are beset by chronic diseases
- How our modern diet and lifestyle have become completely out of sync with what the body actually requires to stay fit, healthy and free of disease
- How widespread use of prescription medication is decreasing our wellbeing; leading us down a slippery slope of deteriorating health and drug dependence
- The truth about ‘super foods’ and the billion-pound ‘antioxidant-added’ food and supplement industry
- How the latest research shows that rather than curtailing the obesity epidemic, the diet industry is fuelling it
- How animal products are wrongfully blamed when it comes to disease, and why vegetarian diets are often lacking when it comes to health
- The myth of the ‘well-balanced’ diet and how policy makers are letting us down by clinging to outdated advice
- How nutritional approaches can treat and stave off the biggest health burden of them all: mental illness
- How expectant mothers are given the nutritional ‘short straw’, to the detriment of their children’s lifelong health
Glen Matten is a nutritional therapist with a Master’s Degree in Nutritional Medicine from the University of Surrey, where he graduated with Distinction. Glen’s firm belief in the importance of diet in promoting health and preventing disease is fundamental to his work, which spans private consultancy, teaching and lecturing, research, and corporate workshops. Glen combines his passion for nutritional medicine with being a full-on foodie, a fresh approach to nutrition that has led to frequent forays into the media, including numerous TV appearances. Glen is an established writer who regularly contributes to a number of publications and is the author of The 100 Foods You Should Be Eating
Aidan Goggins is a pharmacist with a Master’s Degree in Nutritional Medicine. He is a firm believer in the necessity of a holistic approach to achieve true health, and to stem the rising burden of chronic disease medicine needs to be complemented with nutrition and lifestyle changes. He is wary of propagating nutritional advice that indulges in sensationalism and scaremongering, and lacking science, which is pervasive throughout our society.
For press enquiries please contact Jessica Crockett – email@example.com or 020 8962 1248