MEDICX PHARMACY CELEBRATES FIRST ELEPHANT PUMP
MedicX Pharmacy Thingwall has received a special letter of thanks from a student in Zimbabwe for its commitment to helping school children and teachers have access to clean drinking water.
The 16-year-old expressed his gratitude to the pharmacy for its support which has helped install a water pump at Pafikio Mutasa High School in Southern Africa.
It was organised through MedicX Pharmacy’s water cooler supplier, AquAid which pledges funding through its customers to install ‘elephant pumps’ to provide uncontaminated drinking water.
MedicX Pharmacy has set up four AquAid mains-fed water coolers at its pharmacies in Apsley, Hemel Hempstead; Hounslow, Greater London; Thingwall, Merseyside and Bermondsey Spa in Greater London. For every four water coolers, AquAid provides an elephant pump in Africa.
MedicX Pharmacy Thingwall opened in February 2012 and is located at The Warrens Medical Centre. Open throughout the week including weekends, staff will be celebrating their first Easter opening hours. The practice is open daily until 10pm including weekends and bank holidays and most notably on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday.
As well as traditional dispensing, it provides enhanced pharmacy services including medication reviews, diagnostic screening such as blood pressure and cholesterol testing and also Healthy Lifestyle assessment. There is also a free delivery service.
Gavin Birchall, Operations Director of MedicX Pharmacy, explained: “For every four mains-fed water coolers we install at our pharmacies we fund a new elephant pump to supply clean water to communities in Africa.”
“By ensuring our patients in Thingwall have comfortable healthcare facilities, we’re also helping others have access to clean water to prevent disease and illness.”
“Our aim is to help our patients be healthier now and in the future and it’s great that we can also contribute to the health of people thousands of miles away in Africa through the AquAid scheme. It’s a brilliant project and we’re looking forward to providing more elephant pumps as our network of pharmacy practices grow.”
Award-winning MedicX Pharmacy has 10 pharmacy practices located throughout the UK in Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside and Yorkshire as well as three locations in the South East.
Largely situated within newly-built GP health centres and Primary Care Centres, they offer a wide range of dispensing, advisory, testing and screening services.
Later this year, between seven and ten new MedicX Pharmacy practices are due to open in Surrey, Hertfordshire, Rochdale, Merseyside, Lancashire, Wiltshire and Greater London.
Notes to Editors
- A picture of Gavin Birchall, Operations Director of MedicX Pharmacy is available for download at the bottom of this press release. Gavin is available for interviews. Please contact ICG PR for further details.
- The first MedicX Pharmacy opened in Chorley, Lancashire January 2009. Practices are currently located in Lytham, Lancashire; Rotherham, Yorkshire; Ossett, Yorkshire; Blackpool, Lancashire; Ashton Under Lyne, Greater Manchester; Bermondsey Spa, London; Apsley, Hertfordshire; Hounslow, London; Thingwall, Merseyside. A MedicX Pharmacy brochure is available for download at www.medicxpharmacy.com
- MedicX Pharmacy started in 2008 under the leadership of Chief Executive Steve Jeffers and Operations Director Gavin Birchall.
- Steve and Gavin have both worked extensively within the pharmaceutical sector at all levels from owning and managing pharmacy practices to spearheading national pharmaceutical research, working with the NHS and Primary Care Trusts as well as working with specialist health centre developers.
- MedicX Pharmacy practices provide a wide variety of innovative and integrated pharmacy services. Many practices operate 100-hour working licences to provide late night opening hours throughout the week as well as on Bank Holidays including Christmas Day and Easter Sunday.
- MedicX Pharmacy works with NHS commissioners to provide a range of commissioned health care services including Medicine Use Reviews, Minor Ailment Services, Smoking Cessation Services, Weight Management Services, Specialist Dispensing Services and Influenza Vaccination Services.
- MedicX Pharmacy also provides a range of services to support patients in a better understanding of their health risks including blood pressure management, blood glucose measurement and healthier lifestyle assessment.
For more information about MedicX Pharmacy contact ICG PR Tel 01772 679383.Julie Hackett 07973 196 787 Denise Dawson 07980 287550 Paula Holden 0777 2268378