Innovative £1m Internal Works Underway for Spinningfields’ Developments
Internal works are well underway on Manchester’s most talked-about new developments, No.1 Spinningfields and the XYZ Building. Eccles-based engineering group J Fletcher Engineers have started work on a revolutionary new heating and chilled water pipe system that uses cutting-edge materials - in keeping with the ‘forward-thinking’ theme of the two buildings.
The two internal projects, each valued at £500,000, are thundering along, with XYZ now nearing first-stage completion. True to the projects’ ethos of innovation and creativity - being hailed as the “XYZ way” of working and collaborating - J Fletcher is defying convention. The firm plan to utilise new technologies in pipeworks; forgoing traditional carbon materials and designing an advanced system made from stainless steel.
Steve Fletcher, director at J Fletcher Engineers, says “Traditionally, carbon steel pipework is used on such projects. We’re using thin-wall stainless steel as it has many benefits; it’s much lighter, so health and safety risks during installation are greatly reduced. It’s also cost-effective; corrosion is limited so the material offers a much longer lifespan than carbon steel; a lifespan of up to 40 years.
“Immediately we understood the client’s need to create an innovative and forward-thinking space, and set about designing a system that would reflect the “XYZ way”. Winning the project has seen us take on extra staff – we’re now a 130-strong workforce, We’re also now looking for larger premises because of the expanding workload and the rising demand for prefabricated pipework and steelwork.
“It’s projects like No. 1 and XYZ that keep Manchester at the forefront of engineering and construction. These will be the city’s most advanced commercial buildings and an absolute asset to the North West.”
The £73m No.1 Building will be 24 storeys high, home to 343,000 square foot of flexible office space and a skyline restaurant. J Fletcher will be onsite at the Quay Street location in August, expected to fit some 3,000 metres of tube to the plantrooms. In comparison, the 160,000 square foot XYZ Building project will see the firm install 5,000 metres of tube.
Before work begins onsite, J Fletcher will utilise complex 3D models of each building. This will enable the firm to efficiently co-ordinate the pipework, ventilation and electrical systems.
Steve says “Our in-house 3D modelling facility offers the client the option to co-ordinate the installation before the building is complete – enabling developers to prefabricate with confidence. We then exercise greater quality control by building the systems offsite and transporting them where they can then be readily installed. This also reduces timescale and health and safety risk.”
No. 1 Spinningfields is expected to be completed in summer 2017. The 10-storey XYZ Building is due for completion this summer. The combined project worth is estimated to be more than £100m to the city of Manchester.
Notes for Editors:
- J Fletcher Engineers offers mechanical building services, specialising in pipework and steelworks. The company is based in Eccles, Manchester.
- Services include heating and chilled water installations, air conditioning and ventilation, soil and waste installations, domestic services, containerized plant rooms and GasSafe-approved support services supplied by divisions within the group.
- No. 1 Spinningfields additional info: Allied London (developer), NG Bailey (mechanical and electrical contractor), BAM (builder). XYZ Building additional info: Allied London (developer), Lorne St. (mechanical and electrical contractor), McClaren (builder).
- The XYZ Building site is located on Hardman Street in Manchester’s Spinningfields. Launching in 2016, the developer Allied London states that XYZ, featuring cutting-edge workspace, indoor gardens, a wellbeing centre, a bike park, alongside cafes and restaurants, will 'set a new standard for future work/life developments globally'. The building has been designed by Cartwright Pickard Architects and is due for completion this summer.
- No. 1 Spinningfields is located on Quay Street, and is set to become a word-class business environment with flexible office space and skyline restaurant. The architect is Simpson Haugh and Partners. The project is due for completion in 2017.
For more information or to obtain images to accompany this story, please contact Canada Berryman, K2L Marketing on canada@K2L.co.uk or call 0161 848 9008.