OVER 3,000 PEOPLE COMPLETE THE SALOMON CITYTRAIL™ RICHMOND HALF MARATHON AND 10KM
On Sunday 22nd March 2015, over 3,000 people completed The Salomon CityTrail™ Richmond Half Marathon in Richmond’s Old Deer Park.
The weather was crisp and sunny as the participants explored the scenic Borough of Richmond during the race. Starting in Old Deer Park, passing Ham House, Petersham Meadows - which is protected by an act of parliament, Teddington Lock - the meeting point for Dunkirk Little Ships in 1940 and Richmond Green.
Richard Xerri, Founder and Director at Perseverance Events says: “The 2015 Salomon CityTrail™ Richmond Half Marathon and 10km was a great success! Now in it’s third year, we saw people coming from as far as Leeds and Newcastle to take part in the event as well as hundreds of people from the local community. Feedback from the runners has been very positive and they enjoyed the fantastic trail routes that Richmond has to offer.”
The event was full of additional races including an Elite Mile which invited local up and coming athletes to run one mile in the fastest time possible as well as 1,000 local children taking part in a free mini-mile event - The Salomon CityTrail™ Mini Mile race which was supported by Whole Foods Market Richmond.
Paul Griffiths, UK Marketing Manager at Salomon says, “Salomon CityTrail™ were looking for an event that combined the thrill of trail running in an urban setting and this event today certainly answered that requirement. The organization from Perseverance Events was outstanding, the trail course took in all the great locations Richmond has to offer and the atmosphere and feedback from the runners was so positive. We can’t wait to help build the 2016 event to make it even bigger and better than this year!”
Friends and families of all the participants were able to walk around the FitRichmond event village while the race was taking place where local vendors provided great snacks and giveaways. The likes of Sweaty Betty, Rude Health, Whole Foods Market Richmond, RunnersNeed were present as well as Richmond Osteopaths providing post-event massages for all participants.
Councilor Pamela Fleming of Richmond Borough Council was thrilled by the community spirit the event engenders: “The Salomon CityTrail™ Richmond Half marathon has been a huge success and it was fantastic to be part of it. Seeing thousands of adults from the Borough of Richmond taking part in the event was very inspiring. I was also lucky enough to start the mini-mile event for the children which highlighted the important role that sport plays in a child’s life and it was exciting to think that we may have seen the stars of the future running today.”
The Salomon CityTrail™ Richmond Half Marathon and 10km ended the day by presenting a cheque for £10,000 donation to official charity CLIC Sargent and £10,000 to local charity The Vineyard Community Centre.
To register your interest in The 2016 Salomon CityTrail™ Richmond Half Marathon or 10Km event, visit www.richmondhalf.com
Notes to Editor
The Salomon CityTrail™ Richmond Half Marathon and 10km
- The Salomon CityTrail™ Richmond Half Marathon and 10km will take place on Sunday 22nd March 2015.
- The race preludes London Marathon and is fast becoming a well-established pre-London half marathon event. The race is now in its 3rd year with 4,500-5,000 in attendance throughout the day.
- The events’ 2015 chosen local charity is The Vineyard Community Centre.
- The Salomon CityTrail™ Richmond Half Marathon and 10km was established in late 2012 by local business owner, athletics coach and Surrey Team Manager Richard Xerri from Perseverance Events. For 10+ years he has managed several club and county events on a voluntary level. He also helps several local clubs with equipment for events and assists local organisers with advice and experience.
- Perseverance Events also organise: Summer Breeze Running Festival (13th June 2015) and London Enduro 12 Hour & 50km Trail Race (13th June 2015)
- CLIC Sargent is the UK’s leading cancer charity for children and young people, and their families. They provide clinical, practical, financial and emotional support to help families cope with cancer and how to get the most out of life. They support from diagnosis onwards and aim to help the whole family deal with the impact of cancer and its treatment, life after treatment and in some cases bereavement.
- Visit www.clicsargent.org.uk for more information.
The Vineyard Community Centre
- The Vineyard Community Centre is at the foot of Richmond Hill situated in the beautiful town of Richmond, and is best known for helping those who are homeless, poor, vulnerable or in crisis.
- The project offers a morning drop in centre with food, clothing, and washing for the homeless. In the afternoon the community cafe opens where everybody from different walks in life are welcome.
- The Centre also runs the Richmond Foodbank, which last year provided emergency food for nearly 2000 local people. It also has a great charity shop recycling goods providing funds for the centre.
- Help in crisis, hope for Life. www.vineyardcommunity.org.uk
For more information or images of THE SALOMON CITYTRAIL™ RICHMOND HALF MARATHON & 10KM, please contact Laura Kettle at email@example.com or 07980 757482.