President of Rail Safety Education Nonprofit Operation Lifesaver to Retire November 1
Search Underway for Successor
See the full release online: http://bit.ly/RdJKcb
WASHINGTON, DC, September 6, 2012 – Helen M. Sramek, who has served as president of the national rail safety nonprofit Operation Lifesaver Inc. (OLI) since 2007, will retire from the position on November 1, 2012, OLI Board Chair Reilly McCarren announced today.
“We are indebted to Helen for her leadership and vision in reshaping Operation Lifesaver to more effectively deliver rail safety education information through volunteer community outreach and with digital technologies like e-Learning, social media, and the www.oli.org website,” McCarren stated.
McCarren noted several accomplishments for OLI under Sramek’s leadership, including:
- Developing OLI’s "ProDriver Challenge," an online, interactive tool that teaches professional truck drivers safe driving behaviors at highway-rail crossings, to address the 25 percent of crossing crashes involving tractor-trailers and other large trucks;
- Raising awareness of the role that distraction plays in both highway-rail crossing and pedestrian incidents through public service announcements;
- Introducing new technologies to reach out to younger audiences, while strengthening the role of community-based volunteers;
- Streamlining organizational processes and procedures to expedite development of new outreach materials;
- Implementing a national on-line database used by Operation Lifesaver volunteers and trainers to track presentations and more effectively target activities in each state.
“Serving as OLI’s president has been the highlight of my career,” said Sramek. “I am retiring this year because it’s time to explore the next chapter of my life. I leave knowing that Operation Lifesaver will remain the preeminent rail safety education organization in the country – indeed, the world.”
McCarren noted that a search for Sramek’s successor is underway. A position description, including qualifications, is available on the Operation Lifesaver, Inc. website at http://bit.ly/PLAurn.
About Operation Lifesaver
Operation Lifesaver's mission is to promote safety and prevent collisions, deaths and injuries at highway-rail grade crossings and on rail property. A national network of volunteers provides free presentations on rail safety. For safety tips or to request a free safety presentation, visit www.oli.org. Follow OLI on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.