Environmental Scientifics Group strengthens geotechnical testing capability
£300k investment made into specialist laboratory
02 December 2010 - Environmental Scientifics Group (ESG), the UK’s leading environmental compliance company is pleased to announce that it has extended its geotechnical testing capabilities, as part of its Soil Mechanics brand, by developing a specialist testing facility at it existing laboratory in Doncaster.
The substantial investment into the computer-based laboratory is part of ESG’s continual commitment to provide the most extensive and advanced laboratory facilities in the geotechnical testing field.
The advanced suite currently includes the following geotechnical testing techniques:
• Triaxial compression, extension tests and small strain to determine accurate stress strain properties for use in seismic and impulse loading analyses
• Bender elements to derive soil stiffness at very small strains, independently or as part of other tests
• Static and cyclic direct simple shear to evaluate the effects of vibration on soils under plane strain conditions
• Resonant column to determine shear modulus, Young’s modulus and free-vibration damping ratio under torsional or flexural conditions
• Constant rate of strain consolidation, which provides data for the derivation of parameters essential in the design of advanced testing regimes
• Testing of thermal properties to determine the thermal conductivity and resistivity, and associated properties of mass material, for use in the design of ground source heat pump installations, power cable trenches
The computer-based laboratory allows ESG to broaden its capability into specialist areas of advanced geotechnical testing, where 'dynamic' ground conditions prevail. This will allow it to provide highly specialist support for a range of high profile projects including: sub-sea infrastructure, pipeline, wind farm, rail, nuclear new build and earthquake design.
About Environmental Scientifics Group (ESG)
Environmental Scientifics Group, or ESG as most people know it, is the UK’s leading company in environmental inspection, testing and consultancy. Grown out of the combination of a number of strong businesses including Environmental Services Group and Scientifics, ESG prides itself on the levels of accreditation it holds within its businesses and has a long standing reputation of delivering the highest level of service to its clients.
ESG has been a significant driver of change and innovation within the industry, driven by legislation, international standards and the economic climate. Today, the business enjoys unrivalled expertise and breadth of scope across a large and diverse range of market sectors covering Geotechnical Services, Environmental Safety Compliance, Materials Testing and Laboratories and Analytical Services. For more information visit www.esg.co.uk