BPI.VISQUEEN SHOWS SUPPORT FOR GAMBIAN CHARITY
Leading manufacturer of horticultural films, bpi.visqueen has made a generous donation of polytunnel film to the UK-based charity Schools4Schools. The charity works closely with schools and local communities in the Gambia to support the personal and educational development of children. It also provides much needed support through the construction of health centres and the provision of mosquito nets and portable drinking water.
The donated polytunnel film, which is due to be shipped in March, will be used as part of a wider greenhouse project that aims to make communities more self-sufficient in the production of fruit and vegetables. Once constructed, the polytunnel will cover approximately half an acre and will help to provide a secure, long term food supply.
As part of the project, bpi.visqueen will work closely with major UK grower and polytunnel manufacturer, Haygrove. This business, which is involved in a number of charity projects in harsh climate zones across the world, will be supplying the main structure of the tunnel.
The greenhouse project will also act as a training facility to educate school children and local farmers. As part of this scheme, farming consultancy Arid Agritech Ltd will make a series of visits to the project. Using its expert knowledge of arid growing conditions, it will aim to teach local communities modern and sustainable methods of food production, helping to lower their dependence on the support of charities.
Commenting on the project John Phoenix, Sales Director, said: “As a business, bpi.visqueen is delighted to be supporting such a worthwhile and deserving project. The harsh climate and lack of basic agricultural, health and educational facilities in The Gambia has meant that establishing a stable source of food production has proved extremely difficult. Schools4Schools’ greenhouse project and its continuing work in the area will be instrumental in helping to change this. We are happy to be involved and we’re looking forward to receiving regular updates on the project’s progress.”
Images & captions: Polytunnel 1.jpg Supporting communities. Leading manufacturer of horticultural films, bpi.visqueen has made a generous donation to Gambian-based charity Schools4schools.
Notes to Editors:
- British Polythene Industries (BPI) plc is a European leader in the manufacture of polythene film products and a leading global supplier of agricultural and horticultural films.
- bpi.visqueen, a division of British Polythene Industries, operates from a network of sites across the UK, including production facilities in Ardeer, Greenock and Flint.
- bpi.visqueen’s extensive product portfolio includes heavy-duty sacks, pallet protection products and speciality wide width films. These products are employed by some of Europe’s biggest names in agriculture, horticulture, pharmaceutical and industrial applications.
- bpi.visqueen complements its broad range of products with high quality flexographic printing capabilities, advanced conversion processes and in-depth technical experience to deliver leading-edge film solutions/formats.
- As a result of its commitment to operating in a sustainable way and to minimising the environmental impact of all of its activities, BPI won the Best Green Large Company category at the 2010 Scottish Green Awards.