Rapunzel vs. Cancer Foundation donates SEK 200 000 for cancer research in Tanzania and Cancer Rehabilitation Fund
Last night leading hair extension company Rapunzel of Sweden held their annual gala at their premises in Umeå. The Rapunzel vs. Cancer Foundation handed out SEK 200 000 for cancer research and rehabilitation as well as introducing their new Board member, Marcus Schmitt Egenolf, consultant and professor of dermatology at the University of Umeå.
Last night the red carpet was rolled out at Rapunzel of Sweden's premises in Umeå. On the guest list were a small number of specially invited guests who were informed a little about the work that Rapunzel vs. Cancer Foundation has undertaken over the past year. The Foundation was founded by Ida Backlund, CEO and founder of Rapunzel of Sweden, and Ann-Christine Backlund. Last night a third board member was announced, Marcus Schmitt Egenolf, consultant and professor of dermatology at the University of Umeå. Marcus sees the Foundation as a way to get more people to understand more about cancer but also to create a constructive attitude about what we can do.
- It's a great project and it feels really good to be able to participate. I hope that it can also be inspiring for other companies to do something similar, he says.
In the past year, efforts have been made to raise funds for the Foundation. Rapunzel of Sweden has donated 10% of all wig sales to the foundation. The company has also specially designed a hairband of which all sales go to the Foundation. During the year, Rapunzel's CEO, Ida Backlund, has held lectures and been hired as a motivational speaker. All her fees from these lectures were donated to Rapunzel vs. Cancer. All-in-all the Foundation handed out SEK 200 000 of donations last night. Donations were handed out to the Cancer Rehabilitation Fund and Barbro Linderholm's breast cancer projects in Tanzania - both were received with open arms.
- This really means a lot to so many people, we have a long waiting list of those wanting help and now we will finally be able to rehabilitate them after their illness, says Eva Hansen, Secretary General at the Cancer Rehabilitation Fund.
- Barbro, my sister in law, is extremely happy and I too on her behalf! This means that Barbro can go to Tanzania and continue with the breast cancer research she started, says Johan Linderholm who was on hand to accept the donation.
Another prize, the Rapunzel Angel Award, was also presented during the evening. This prize was for the person who has put in outstanding efforts for the Foundation and Rapunzel’s wig activities over the past year. The prize was awarded to Kajsa Boman, who played a key part in the development of Rapunzel wigs.
- It feels fantastic to receive this award, it really means a lot to me, especially considering what Rapunzel means me. It's wonderful to see how much the wigs have helped everyone else says Kajsa Boman.
In addition to prizes and donations, Maria Lindberg, an expert wig technician from Rapunzel Stockholm, held a demonstration on fitting and styling a wig. On stage she styled Johanna Lernstedt Sjödin with one of Rapunzel’s wigs, whilst at the same time Johanna filled us in about life with the autoimmune disease Alopecia. The Foundation’s work will continue in developing wigs, providing information and raising more money, work that will surely evolve and intensify even more.
- The need for normality when you suffer with cancer is huge. There is so much happening at the same time. I think it is important to understand how crucial hair is to so many people, says Marcus Schmitt Egenolf.
- Previously, we focused very much on cancer, which we will continue to do. But there is a great need for support and we hope to broaden our coverage to support organizations in areas such as Alopecia, as well as seriously ill children and young people in other areas, such as heart disease where I myself have experience from when I lived in hospitals long periods when I was little, says Ida Backlund and continues:
- Exactly what we will work with has not yet decided but next year's focus for the Foundation goes under the name of Rapunzel Angels and we hope to form even more collaborations, which will be very exciting, says Ida Backlund.
For more information contact:
Rapunzel of Sweden is one of the Nordics leading hair extensions companies operating mainly on the internet with around 60 employees and customers in more than 60 different countries. The company uses its own brand, Rapunzel® and delivers hair extensions, wigs and hair care to hundreds of thousands of people all over the world. Apart from the large online business with it’s head office in the city of Umeå (Northern Sweden) Rapunzel of Sweden also has established the Rapunzel® Store Concept, and the foundation Rapunzel vs Cancer.