Help with your Swedish tax returns—how to handle Sectra redemption shares 2017

Linköping, Sweden, December 4, 2017 – The 2017 Annual General Meeting of the international medical imaging IT and cybersecurity company  Sectra (STO: SECT B) resolved to carry out a redemption program and SEK 4.50 per share was distributed to Sectra shareholders in October. According to the general advice issued by the Swedish Tax Agency regarding the redemption program, 96.8% of the acquisition fees for an original Class A or Class B share in Sectra AB should be attributed to remaining shares and 3.2% to redemption shares of the respective class.

In your Swedish tax assessment, a redemption or sale of shares (designated SECT IL A and SECT IL B) is to be declared as a sale of shares on Form K4. The calculation of the acquisition fees for redemption shares can be carried out in one of two ways:

  • According to the general advice issued by the Swedish Tax Agency, which entails that you allot a certain portion of the relevant acquisition fees for the original shares to redemption shares.
  • Alternatively, the standard rule can be applied if the transaction pertains to Class B redemption shares.

Example based on the general advice issued by the Swedish Tax Agency 
A shareholder owns one (1) Sectra share with an acquisition cost of SEK 100 immediately prior to the share split. Accordingly, the acquisition cost allocated to each redemption share should be (SEK 100 x 0.032 =) SEK 3.20. The acquisition cost of the remaining share will then be (SEK 100 - 3.20 =) SEK 96.80. If the redemption shares were disposed of (through sale or redemption) at a price of SEK 4.50, the capital gain calculated based on the general advice is (SEK 4.50 - 3.20 =) SEK 1.30.

Example based on the standard rule 
Since the Class B redemption shares were traded for a certain period of time, these can be regarded as listed. However, the Class A redemption shares are not regarded as listed and, accordingly, the standard rule cannot be applied to them.

The standard rule entails that the acquisition cost is equal to 20% of the net proceeds for the redeemed or sold redemption shares. This corresponds to an acquisition fee of (4.50 x 0.2 =) SEK 0.90 per redemption share redeemed.

If the payment for a Class B redemption share amounted to SEK 4.50 through sale or redemption, calculation using the standard method would generate a capital gain of (SEK 4.50 - 0.90 =) SEK 3.60.

Information published by the Swedish Tax Agency  (in Swedish only)

For further information, please contact:

Helena Pettersson, Chief Investor Relations Officer Sectra AB ph 46 13 23 52 04, e-mail info.investor@sectra.se

About Sectra 
Sectra assists hospitals throughout the world to enhance the efficiency of care, and authorities and defense forces in Europe to protect society’s most sensitive information. Thereby, Sectra contributes to a healthier and safer society.  The company was founded in 1978, has its head office in Linköping, Sweden, with subsidiaries in 16 countries, and operates through partners worldwide. Sales in the 2016/2017 fiscal year totaled SEK 1,141 million. The Sectra share (STO: SECT B) is quoted on the Nasdaq Stockholm exchange. For more information, visit  www.sectra.com

Tags:

About Us

Sectra assists hospitals throughout the world to enhance the efficiency of care, and authorities and defense forces in Europe to protect society’s most sensitive information. Thereby, Sectra contributes to a healthier and safer society. The company was founded in 1978, has its head office in Linköping, Sweden, with subsidiaries in 16 countries, and operates through partners worldwide. Sales in the 2016/2017 fiscal year totaled SEK 1,141 million. The Sectra share (STO: SECT B) is quoted on the Nasdaq Stockholm exchange. For more information, visit www.sectra.com.

Subscribe

Documents & Links