Contact Wearers at Risk from Parasite
Contact lens wearers may be at risk from a microscopic amoeba that can cause blindness and other health complications.
Scientists are warning contact lens wearers of a water-dwelling parasite that eats the eyeballs causing loss of vision, according to CBS DC. When wearers do not clean their lenses carefully, their eyes are at risk of attack by the Acanthamoeba parasite.
CBS DC reports that the Acanthamoeba can be found in soil and water including tap water, rivers, ponds, showers, and swimming pools.
Infection is serious but rare. Around 75 cases of acanthamoeba keratitis are reported annually in the UK and it is mostly because people do not follow the instructions for proper use and cleaning of contact lenses, according to CBS DC. Wearers should avoid washing their lenses or lens cases in tap water and they should not swim or shower with them in.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has been monitoring infections since a 2007 outbreak in the US that resulted in a recall of a contact lens solution
If you or someone you know has been harmed by dangerous product, contact Sokolove Law for free legal consultation and to find out if a product liability lawsuit may be able to help you.