Death of Canadian Teacher May Have Been Caused By Asbestos
It’s commonly known that the inhalation of loose asbestos fibers can increase the risk of a number of deadly lung illnesses, including mesothelioma. Sadly, the recent death of a teacher at the University of Calgary is yet another example of this.
According to the CBC, Ameila Labbe ran the Spanish center inside Craigie Hall at the university during renovations to the building in 2003 as well as an asbestos management project that was undertaken in 2006. During the renovations, many teachers in the building complained of poor air quality due to dust that drifted from the work sites.
"Ceiling tiles and accumulated dust from the ceiling space had spilled into the work area and had basically resulted in air quality in which those of us who were within the entire wing could not breathe,” said Rachel Schmidt, the head of the French, Italian, and Spanish departments at the time.
She added that the department eventually shut down until debris was cleaned up.
Unfortunately for Labbe, she was eventually diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis and succumbed to the lung disease last November. Her husband told the CBC that he believes the loose dust from the 2003 renovation that may have contained asbestos led to the illness that killed her.
If you or a loved one has been exposed to loose asbestos fibers and now suffer from mesothelioma, there may be legal options at your disposal. Contact Sokolove Law today to learn more about pursuing a mesothelioma settlement.