Learn from the experts
Producing Great Sound for Film and Video: Expert Tips from Preproduction to Final Mix
In Producing Great Sound for Film and Video, Fourth Edition audio guru Jay Rose revises his popular text for a new generation of filmmakers. You’ll learn practical, time-saving ways to get better recordings, solve problems with existing audio, create compelling tracks, and boost your filmmaking to the next level!
Here you’ll find real-world advice and practical guidelines for every aspect of your soundtrack: planning and budgeting, field and studio recording, editing, sound effects and music, audio repair, processing, and mixing. Rose’s combination of solid technical information and a clear, step-by-step approach has made this the go-to book for producers and film students for over a decade.
Praise for this new edition:
"This is the definitive book. It should be mandatory reading for anyone who is seriously considering a career making movies."
- Jeff Wexler, CAS (Mixer for Mission Impossible III, Fight Club, Independence Day, The Last Samurai, Jerry Maguire)
"Jay Rose is one of the leaders in spreading the gospel of using sound creatively. He presents cutting-edge ideas about the collaboration of sound and image, and also covers the basics… all in an easy to read, easy to understand style."
- Randy Thom, CAS (Director of Sound Design at Skywalker Sound; Oscar winner for The Right Stuff and The Incredibles)
This new edition includes:
- Expert insights and from-the-trenches tips from Oscar- and Emmy-winning professionals
- Advice on how to get the best results from your equipment, including DSLRs and digital recorders
- How to deal with new laws for using and licensing wireless mics
- Easy-to-understand descriptions of new regulations for broadcast loudness, along with tips on complying… and free software to measure performance
- More techniques that work with any software or hardware and an expanded “How Do I Fix This?” section to solve problems quickly
- GreatSound.info — A companion website with downloadable tutorials, demonstrations, and diagnostics
Jay Rose is one of the most respected sound designer / engineers in the Northeast. He has mixed or edited the soundtracks for mainstream theatrical films, network documentaries, commercials, and countless corporate and independent projects. He’s designed processing software for major studio manufacturers. Radio and Production Magazine called him “the mad scientist of audio”.
Rose was a featured columnist for ten years at Digital Video Magazine, helped launch ProVideoCoalition.com, and was a professor of Sound Design at Boston’s respected Berklee College of Music. He’s been a section officer of the Audio Engineering Society, lectured before the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers and at the International Conference on Auditory Display, and is a member of the Cinema Audio Society.
“A lot of great people gave me guidance when I was starting out, and it made a big difference. This book is my way of ‘paying it forward’, sharing principles and techniques I’ve learned in a long and happy career.”
- Jay Rose, Author
For more information visit: http://bit.ly/1mGVYbU or http://www.GreatSound.info
9780415722070 | $49.95 / £31.99 in paperback | July 2014
Available for interviews, media features, excerpts, and giveaways | Contact Sloane Stinson for a review copy.
For more information please contact:
Marketing Manager, Focal Press
Tel: 760-294-8758 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Focal Press has been a leading publisher of Media Technology books for 75 years. We provide essential resources for professionals and students in many areas including: film and digital video production, photography, digital imaging, graphics, animation and new media, broadcast and media distribution technologies, music recording and production, mass communications, and theatre technology. For information about Focal Press visit www.focalpress.com.