Celebrities get behind The Eve Appeal’s ‘kiss of life’ campaign for Gynaecological Cancer Awareness Month
A host of celebrities have puckered up in support of The Eve Appeal’s kiss of life campaign in September – the first ever Gynaecological Cancer Awareness Month
Stars including Jo Brand, Rupert Grint, Dannii Minogue, Jenny Éclair, Helen Lederer, Matt Baker, Donna Air, Lorraine Kelly, Sharon Maughan, Trevor Eve, Kay Burley and Yvie Burnett have all donned their favourite red lipstick and sent a ‘kiss’ to encourage women to get involved.
18,000 women are diagnosed with a gynaecological cancer in the UKevery year and of these women, 7,500 will die. The Eve Appeal, the only national charity dedicated to raising funds and awareness of all gynaecological cancers, is launching a new annual campaign with ‘a touch of red’ theme.
The focus of this year’s campaign, the kiss of life, aims to collect 7,500 ‘kisses’ – one for every woman lost to gynaecological cancer each year in the UK.
There are opportunities for everyone to join our celebrity supporters and get involved in the campaign:
- Text EVE to 70800 for a link to download our free iPhone app to send kisses to family and friends. (£1 per kiss)
- Free download of the kiss of life iPhone app from The App Store (£1 per kiss)
- Upload a photo of your own kiss or chose a pre-set kiss image to send to a loved one via www.gcam11.org.uk (£1 per upload)
- Put on your favourite lipstick and kiss a card (available from 020 7299 4430 or www.gcam11.org.uk) and post to The Eve Appeal for a minimum donation of £2. The charity will upload the card to the website
- Text KISS11 £2 to 70070 to donate
All above details and instructions can be found on the www.gcam11.org.uk home page.
Here’s what some of our celebrity supporters say about the campaign:
- “More awareness of this appeal please so that more ladies and their families live longer, happier lives xxx” Jenny Éclair
- “Please help raise awareness and funds for The Eve Appeal. They do incredible work and save lives!” Lorraine Kelly
- “It seems a very small donation to ask to save lives!” Jo Brand
- “Love women, love The Eve Appeal. Together we can make a difference” Donna Air
- “Losing one woman to gynaecological cancer is one too many. Let’s ‘kiss’ goodbye to gynae cancer forever!” Yvie Burnett
Public knowledge of gynaecological cancers is woefully low and there also remains a strong embarrassment factor associated with all matters ‘down below’ with one in four women finding talking about gynaecological symptoms embarrassing even with friends and family.
Says Robert Marsh, CEO of The Eve Appeal, “We are so grateful to all our celebrity friends who have supported this campaign. We know that earlier diagnosis of gynaecological cancers can help save lives so we hope that through the kiss of life campaign we can make more women aware of the signs and symptoms of this dreadful set of diseases and raise much needed funds for this vital research.”
The Eve Appeal website contains valuable information to inform and educate women about the signs and symptoms to look out for.
Help us to help women by sending a ‘kiss’ to raise funds and awareness. It’s so easy – just go to www.gcam11.org.uk and follow the instructions.
“all for eve remain dedicated to raising funds and awareness for The Eve Appeal and are proud to use our association with the charity to promote the launch of the first gynaecological cancer awareness month to maintain the flow of donations to the cause.” Liz Hotchin, Brand Manager, all for eve.
Release date: 1 August 2011
07812 150832/0208 663 1040
Notes to Editors
About The Eve Appeal
The Eve Appeal was publicly launched in 2005 to help save women’s lives by funding research into gynaecological cancers and raising awareness of the diseases. The charity is well on its way to meeting its original fundraising target of £5 million.
But there is still much to do. Much of the research work now under way will not be completed for some years and continued funding is essential if its early promise is to be fulfilled.
For the future The Eve Appeal continues to work towards its vision of a world where fewer women develop and more women survive gynaecological cancers.
About all for eve
‘all for eve’ is the result of a unique business concept developed and launched by George Hammer, Chairman of The Urban Retreat Group in 2009, with the sole purpose of raising funds and awareness for gynaecological cancer research by donating all net profits to The Eve Appeal. Created as a direct response to the death of his sister-in-law to Ovarian Cancer in 2008, George is determined to help change the future lives of woman throughout theUK so that other families do not have to endure the heartache his family have had to.
Eve Red Lipstick
Available at feelunique.com and allforeve.co.uk, not only is this lipstick long lasting but all net profits from the sale of the lipstick come directly to the charity, so supporters will be making a double donation – what could be better than that!