THE ANNUAL WINES OF CHILE AWARDS CELEBRATES A DECADE OF EXCELLENCE
Judging Panel Awards the Largest Percentage of Medals in the Competition’s History
SANTIAGO, CHILE – (January 14, 2013) Last week marked the 10th anniversary of the Annual Wines of Chile Awards (AWOCA), an event that over the years, has drawn some of the world’s top palates to taste and judge the best wines from the country. Taking top honors this year, and earning the medal for “Best in Show,” was Don Maximiano Founder’s Reserve 2010, a proprietary red blend from Viña Errazuriz.
At a gala held at the conclusion of the competition, there were an additional 17 “Best in Category” trophies awarded by variety, with awards for best white and red in the premium category and best white and red in the value category. In addition to the category leaders, bronze, silver and gold medals were presented to an astonishing 79% of the wines entered into competition—the most the event has ever seen.
“We are extremely pleased to see such high marks for our wines this year,” said Lori Tieszen, Executive Director,Wines of Chile, USA. “Every year our international panel of judges bestows more and more medals upon the wines entered, cementing the reality that Chile is continuing to produce wines of incredible caliber, and those efforts are recognized.”
Wines of Chile picked this landmark year of the awards to focus on one of the country’s most important growing consumer markets—Asia. Wine experts from Japan, China and Korea joined Chilean judges in a three-day blind tasting of the record 615 wines that entered the competition this year. The top wines in each category are listed below.
For more information on the event or on Wines of Chile, please visit www.winesofchile.org or the company’s Facebook and Twitter pages at http://www.facebook.com/WinesOfChile and http://twitter.com/DrinkChile.
The Best in Category winners of the 2013 AWOCA are:
- Blend – Sideral 2009, Viña Altair S.A.
- Cabernet Sauvignon – Arboleda 2010, Viña Arboleda
- Carmenere – Marchigue Private Collection 2011, Viñedos Marchigue
- Chardonnay – Aconcagua Costa 2011, Viña Errazuriz
- Late Harvest – Erasmo 2008, Viña la Reserva de Caliboro
- Pinot Noir – Cono Sur 20 Barrels 2010, Viña Cono Sur
- Sauvignon Blanc – Outer Limits 2011, Montes S.A.
- Syrah – Single Vineyard 2011, Viña Cono Sur
- Syrah – 20 Barrels 2010, Viña Cono Sur
- Other Red – Vigno Garcia Schwaderer 2009, Garcia & Schwaderer
- Other White – Santa Carolina Reserva Moscato 2012, Santa Carolina
- Rosé – Litoral Rosé of Pinot Noir 2012, Viña Ventolera S.A.
- Sparkling – Santa Digna Estelado 2012, Miguel Torres Chile
- Premium Red – Don Maximiano Founder's Reserve 2010, Viña Errazuriz
- Premium White – Cipreses Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2011, Viña Casa Marín
- Value Red – Oveja Negra Cabernet Franc – Carmenere 2011, VIA Wines
- Value White – Santa Carolina Reserva Moscato 2012, Santa Carolina
- Best in the Show – Don Maximiano Founder's Reserve 2010, Viña Errazuriz
About Wines of Chile
Wines of Chile is an organization committed to promoting the quality and image of Chilean wine throughout the world. It has offices in Santiago, London and New York, as well as representatives in Canada, Ireland and Denmark. Wines of Chile also works closely with ProChile to develop and offer promotional and educational programs in Asia, Latin America and Europe. Wines of Chile’s 95 member wineries belong to Vinos de Chile and represent 88% of Chile’s bottled wine exports.