Haulier celebrates its 100th DAF with special livery
- Transport and distribution specialist, S&R Smith & Son, now has its 100th DAF truck since the family-owned business started in 1949
- Special livery for its 100th truck – a new DAF XF460 Euro 6 - first of order of 8
- S&R Smith & Son fleet of 54 vehicles is 100 per cent DAF, all with DAF service and maintenance contracts to manage running costs efficiently
- DAF reliability guarantees efficient service for S&R Smith & Sons’ customers
- New DAF XF Euro 6 features revised exterior and interior styling and latest PACCAR engines with extended service intervals and lower fuel consumption
A family-owned and run transport and distribution company, S&R Smith & Son, is celebrating its 100thDAF truck – a new DAF XF460 Euro 6 – with a bespoke ‘100th’ logo on its traditional red livery. The company has run DAFs since its first DAF 95 Freighter trucks in the 1980’s, while in the early 1970’s, it had also used Leyland Super Comet and Leyland Mercury trucks
The 100thvehicle is the first Euro 6 model to join the S&R Smith & Son fleet, which now has a total of 54 trucks, all DAF. This is also the first it has specified with the DAF AS Tronic automated transmission. It has the latest PACCAR MX-13 engine delivering 460 hp with 2,300 Nm of torque from 1,000 to 1,425 rpm, and is part of an order for eight new DAF XF tractor units for the West Thurrock-based company, all supplied with two year service and maintenance contracts by its local dealer, Harris DAF Grays.
The 100thtruck will be a regular sight on the M25, which is just two miles from its high security depot and head office in Essex, and is expected to travel around 120,000 miles a year across the South East of England on behalf of its contract distribution clients.
Like the rest of the fleet, the new DAF XFs will have 24/7 GPS tracking and custom software to measure and report on key performance indicators like arrival and waiting times, fuel economy and any harsh braking.
Lee Smith, Managing Director of S&R Smith & Sons, and the third generation of his family to be running the business since it was started by his grandparents in 1949, said: “We are still a family run and owned business and pride ourselves on providing the best and most efficient service to our customers. That means we need an efficient and reliable fleet with excellent dealer back-up, and after taking delivery of our 100thDAF truck, you can probably guess that we’re extremely happy with the fuel economy and running costs of our DAFs, and the excellent service provided by our dealer.”
“For our convenience and peace of mind, we have a two year DAF service and maintenance contract for our new trucks, after which time we will either extend it or use the workshop when needed,” added Lee.
Phil Moon, Marketing Manager, DAF Trucks UK commented: “We’d like to congratulate S&R Smith & Sons on its 100thtruck and thank them for their continued commitment to DAF trucks. It is great to see that the great service our vehicles and our dealer network has delivered has been rewarded by such loyalty to DAF trucks.”
“We are confident that S&R Smith & Sons will be equally pleased by the new XF Euro 6 models and enjoy the benefits of the enhancements to driver comfort, fuel economy and running costs,” added Phil.
Like the DAF LF and CF models, the new XF Euro 6 range offers the latest state-of-the-art, quieter PACCAR turbocharged 12.9-litre MX-13 and 10.8-litre MX-11 diesel engines designed to deliver better fuel economy and lower Euro 6-compliant emissions, plus lower maintenance costs with extended service intervals up to 60,000 km. It also has a new chassis and enhanced interior to improve the daily work-life of the driver.
Notes to editors:
- DAF Trucks UK is the market leader across all sectors in the UK, from 7.5 to 44 tonnes. The new Euro 6 LF, CF and XF Euro 6 trucks are designed to maximise profitability for operators and provide drivers with the best possible driving experience, supported by a nationwide network of 133 dealers across the UK (including two in the Channel Islands). DAF is a subsidiary of PACCAR – the global leader in the design, manufacture and customer support of light, medium and heavy trucks. www.daf.co.uk
For further information please contact:
Martin Hayes, Automotive PR t: +44 (0)20 7952 1070