HSE launches refurbishment site campaign
The Health and Safety Executive has launched a nationwide programme of targeted unannounced inspections at refurbishment sites to check that asbestos regulations and other safety guidelines are being correctly implemented.
As part of a campaign running until September 27th 2013, inspectors will call at sites where refurbishment and repair projects are underway and look at how high-risk activities, such as those that could result in exposure to harmful dusts, are being managed.
The aim of the action is to reinforce the message that poor risk management can lead to illness, injury and even death, and while inspectors will focus on providing improvement advice, the HSE’s chief inspector of construction Heather Bryant has made it clear that companies found to be deliberately cutting corners will face “robust” legal action.
"Too many people die or are seriously injured every year on Britain's construction sites as a result of entirely avoidable incidents,” added Ms Bryant. “Just as importantly, workers are unnecessarily being exposed to serious health risks, such as asbestos or silica dust, which can have fatal or debilitating consequences.”
A similar initiative in February and March saw 2,363 sites visited by inspectors and 631 enforcement notices issued, including 451 that ordered an immediate halt to work.
To find out more about asbestos regulations, removal and surveys, get in touch with BLS Asbestos.
For media information please contact Jenny Green at Smart Arts on 01484 685544 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BLS Asbestos is a leading service provider in the survey and removal of asbestos.
- 3 year licence granted by the Health and Safety Executive to work with asbestos insulation and asbestos insulation board for the purpose of removal (Licence Number 991304287).
- Licence to transport hazardous waste (Waste Carriers Registration Number YRI/445417), awarded by the Environment Agency, allowing us to safely transport and dispose of the asbestos once removal has been completed.
- Full Contracting Member of ARCA (Asbestos Removal Contractors Association) the UK's premier association for asbestos removal contractors, including their prestigious Site Audit Accreditation Scheme (SAAS) quality assurance award stating our work procedures surpass their stringent high standards.
- We also hold health and safety accreditations including ‘CHAS’ and ‘Constructionline’.
- Headquarters ideally placed within the M62 corridor to deliver projects in Yorkshire, Lancashire, Merseyside and Lincolnshire, plus a London office to ensure nationwide coverage.