BradsDeals Unveils Black Friday 2012 Survey Results
“Black Thursday” is Here to Stay; Over 66% Consumers Began Shopping on Thanksgiving this Year; Walmart Wins with Guaranteed Availability
November 23, 2012 (Chicago, IL.) – BradsDeals, the largest editorial-driven deals site, conducted a same-day online survey of over 1,300 Black Friday consumers from among the 800,000-plus Facebook fans of its blackfriday.bradsdeals.com service and found that earlier store openings on Thanksgiving were well received. In fact, over 66% of shoppers began their shopping on Thanksgiving Day.
“Black Thursday is the new Black Friday,” said Mr. Wilson. “Even though some of us cringed when we heard about Thanksgiving store openings, this trend is here to stay, as shoppers spoke with their feet.”
Walmart was the number one destination for the majority of shoppers polled. Adds Wilson, “Their ‘guaranteed availability’ policy for their top Black Friday deals changed the game for consumers, with shoppers opting for safety – even at slightly higher prices – rather than taking chances with limited quantity deals.”
2012 Black Friday Highlights:
- Average Spend Per Consumer Increases: 17% of shoppers spent more than $700, up from just 10% last year; the number of shoppers spending less than $300 dropped significantly, as well.
- Thanksgiving vs. Black Friday Shoppers On the Rise: 66.8% of shoppers started their Black Friday shopping on Thanksgiving in 2012.
- In-Store vs. Online Shopping Preference: Online shopping decreased from 32% of purchases to 25% in 2012.
- Most Sought After Retailer: Walmart was the number one destination for more shoppers than Target, Best Buy, Toys “R” Us, Kohl’s and Amazon combined.
- Most Popular Category: Electronics wins, with 76% of shoppers buying electronics, followed by toys at 62% and apparel at 61%.
- Mobile: Traffic to blackfriday.bradsdeals.com rose 43% in 2012, up from 17% in 2011.
Most Popular Deals on Thanksgiving Day
1. Xbox 360 4GB w/ Kinect $199 Shipped - Microsoft
2. Keurig B40 Elite Brewer $71 Shipped - Kohl’s
3. Xbox 360 250GB Bundle $200 Shipped- Best Buy
4. KitchenAid 6qt Pro 600 Stand Mixer $184 - Kohl’s
5. North Face Women's Khumbu Jacket $58 - Moosejaw
Most Popular Deals on Black Friday
1. Vizio 60" LED WiFi HDTV $688 Shipped - Walmart
2. $100 iTunes eCard or Gift Card $80 - Best Buy
3. NCAA Tee Shirts $8 Shipped - Finish Line
4. 12 Bottles Wine + Electric Opener $80 Shipped
5. New 4th Generation iPad $458 at Apple
BradsDeals.com is the largest editorial-driven deals site with more than five million email subscribers. For the past 10 years, BradsDeals has been dedicated to publishing the best online deals and coupon codes daily. Founder Brad Wilson created BradsDeals while a college student in 2002 as a way to spread the word about the online shopping tips and tricks that he learned as a student. Today, BradsDeals is also home to BlackFriday2012 and CyberMonday2012, reaching more than 25 million visitors annually.