Simon Hughes MP backs 5k race raising money for breast cancer research
Simon Hughes MP turned out to BE PART OF THE CURE last Sunday, May 20, as he attended a charity 5k in Southwark Park which is expected to raise £10,000 for Breast Cancer Campaign.
England rugby sevens star Chris Cracknell and International fitness and lifestyle expert Sarah Maxwell captained teams of Girls and Boys for the fundraising 5k – and also choreographed and led a warm up for the 83 charity runners.
Simon Hughes, MP for Bermondsey and Old Southwark, joined in the warm up and said: “I supported, and people ran Girls vs Boys, to remind others that more than half a million people in this country have breast cancer and 12,000 die from breast cancer every year. However by putting money into research there can be cure. We came [to Southwark Park] for a positive reason – to reduce the pain, reduce the anxiety and have a better future.”
The close run race was ultimately won by the Girls team who posted an average race time of 32 minutes and 13 seconds compared to the boys 37 minutes and 2 seconds*.
*The Boys time had a weighting added to it, based on the average weighting taking from all the GvB pairs.
Notes to editors
- Breast Cancer Campaign aims to beat breast cancer by funding innovative world-class research to understand how breast cancer develops, leading to improved diagnosis, treatment, prevention and cure
- The Breast Cancer Campaign Tissue Bank, the UK’s first ever national breast cancer tissue bank is a unique collaboration with four leading research institutions to create a vital resource of breast cancer tissue for researchers across the UK and Ireland. Visit breastcancertissuebank.org
- The charity currently funds 95 projects worth more than £16 million in 35 locations across the UK and Ireland
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer in the UK and accounts for nearly one in three of all cancers in women
- In the UK, around 48,000 new cases of breast cancer are diagnosed each year - that’s 130 a day
- Visit breastcancercampaign.org or follow us at twitter.com/bccampaign
Elana McIntyre, Media Relations Manager, Breast Cancer Campaign
DD 0207 749 4102, email: firstname.lastname@example.org twitter: @CampaignPR