MOD appoints marketing agents for Portsmouth Dockyard
The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) has appointed Lambert Smith Hampton to act as Marketing Agents for shipbuilding facilities based in Portsmouth.
BAE Systems announced in November last year that it plans to end shipbuilding at its facilities located within the city's Royal Navy base, though it will continue its ship maintenance activities.
The first stage in marketing the facilities to other occupiers was the publication of a site prospectus last month by DIO, the Ministry of Defence’s (MOD) property and services provider. This showcased the facilities and invited expressions of interest from companies who may be interested in leasing the site.
The appointment of Lambert Smith Hampton is the second stage in the process of marketing the site. The company will now be responsible for marketing the facilities to interested bidders, managing a campaign asking for expressions of interest in the facilities vacated by BAE Systems. The MOD is looking for companies which will utilise the unique opportunities presented by the site and its skilled workers.
The 13ha site is situated centrally within the Naval Base and vacant facilities may be made available for commercial use. However, this use will have to comply with operational military and security requirements.
Facilities include the Shiphall, dock, Plate Cutting Facilities, workshops, and administration offices. They sit in the centre of the Naval Base and are fully integrated into the HM Naval Base Portsmouth. The site provides a large scale, modern and secure manufacturing facility, with excellent transportation links by both land and sea through Portsmouth Harbour.
Robin Dickens, Director at Lambert Smith Hampton, said:
“Major facilities like this do not come on to the market very often, so we expect to see considerable interest from companies operating in the marine, defence, aerospace and general engineering sectors, from both the UK and overseas. It is one of those unique opportunities that demands a closer look.
“Portsmouth is synonymous with shipbuilding. It has world-leading research and development, a highly skilled workforce and a strong international reputation.We have considerable experience of marketing landmark sites across the UK and have already started speaking to possible tenants about the facility.”
Interested parties should contact Lambert Smith Hampton on 01489 579 579 or 020 7198 2000.
Press enquiries to Tony Moran, Senior Communications Officer 0121 311 3879 or email email@example.com
DIO website: www.gov.uk/dio
Read DIO’s blog: https://insidedio.blog.gov.uk/
Notes to Editors
1) The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) plays a vital role in supporting our Armed Forces by building, maintaining and servicing what the men and women who serve our country need to live, work, train and deploy on operations.
2) DIO is part of the Ministry of Defence (MOD). It is responsible for managing and maintaining land and properties, as well as providing related support services, to meet the current and future needs of the MOD and personnel at home and abroad, and to support current operations.
3) Our work includes supporting operational units by providing and improving single living and service family accommodation; training areas and historic military sites. DIO actively manages these to ensure the needs of Defence are met, value for money is achieved, and its heritage is protected, and to achieve its environmental goals.
4) The prospectus has been published on the GOV.UK website at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/shipbuilding-facilities-located-on-hm-naval-base-portsmouth.
5) Lambert Smith Hampton (LSH) is a national commercial property consultancy. It works with investors, developers and occupiers across the public and private sectors. For more information, visit www.lsh.co.uk