News on Castlemartin Training Area now just a click away
A new Twitter service has been launched to share news and information aboutMinistry of Defence (MOD) activities at Castlemartin Training Area.
Thousands of tourists and leisure users flock to the training site, in Pembrokeshire, each year and a new hashtag aims to keep visitors and local residents abreast of the latest news and information about the facility.
Twitter users can search for the hashtag #MODcastlemartin enabling them to keep up-to-date on important issues such as firing times and access
The new service will make it easy to for Twitter users to track topics and conversations relating to Castlemartin as well as sharing useful information including;
- Firing times
- Low flying aircraft and noise
- Access issues for groups using the site such as walkers, cyclists and surfers
- Public safety
- Nature conservation and Archaeology
The hashtag has been launched by the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO), which Twitter users can follow using the handle @MOD_DIO.
DIO is responsible for managing and maintaining land and property on behalf of the MOD.
Major John Nicholl, Senior Training Safety Officer at Castlemartin said:
“DIO’s priority is to support our Armed Forces as they prepare for operations. We also have an obligation to keep the public up to date with what is happening on and around the training area.
“Social media is a modern and convenient way of sharing information and staying in touch. I am very pleased that we are joining the Twitter community to help us spread useful information about Castlemartin Training Area to local residents and to its many visitors.
“We hope the launch of this new service will have a positive impact and help us engage with and continue to build relationships with local communities.”
The Castlemartin hashtag is the latest to rolled out by the DIO following the successful launch of #modontheplain earlier this year which gives users of the MOD’s largest training area Salisbury Plain news and information.
Press enquiries to Emma Sloper, Communications Officer on 0121 311 2418 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
DIO website: www.gov.uk/dio
Note for Editors
1) Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) is part of the Ministry of Defence (MOD). It is responsible for managing and maintaining land and properties to meet the current and future needs of the MOD and personnel at home and abroad, and to support current operations.
2) Our work includes providing, supporting and improving: operational units; single living and service family accommodation; training areas and historic military sites. DIO actively manages these to ensure the needs of Defence are met, value for money is achieved; our heritage is protected and we achieve our environmental goals.