Procurement process for barracks redevelopment moves forward
The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) has issued an Invitation to Submit Final Tenders (ISFT) to four companies as it seeks to redevelop a Staffordshire barracks.
Beacon Barracks,Stafford, will be redeveloped as part of the BORONA Programme following an announcement by the MOD in July of 2011 that the base is to become the home of two additional signal regiments.
DIO’s priority is providing support to Forces personnel and this development will provide office, technical, facilities and living accommodation for them as they prepare for operations. A parallel project will provide some 360 military houses on MOD-owned land next to the barracks for personnel stationed inStafford.
The organisation has issued ISFTs to:
- Carillion Construction (UK) Ltd
- Kier Construction (UK) Ltd
- Lend Lease Construction Ltd
- Skanska UK Plc
The project involves design and build of single living accommodation, regimental headquarters, mess and catering facilities, technical workshops, vehicle garaging, physical recreational facilities, medical dental centre amongst several others.
Stuart Gallacher, DIO Principal Project Manager, said:
“DIO’s priority is to support our Armed Forces and their families. This project will be of great benefit to existing and rebasing troops, as well as the Staffordshire economy. We are delighted to issue ISFTs to these companies and look forward to receiving their tenders.
“Following HM Treasury approval to move to the next stage of the bidding process the ISFT represents a key milestone in the project and formally closes the dialogue undertaken with the Participants following the evaluation of initial bids and technical solutions.”
The ISFT will enable the project to continue on to meet the In Service Date of August 2015.
The development will not only welcome home the soldiers from Germany, but also allow for a more coherent basing arrangement for the Army. At the same time, it will make better use of the MOD estate in the UK delivering a high-quality sustainable development.
John Waterhouse, the BORONA Programme Team Leader, said:
“This project demonstrates the MOD’s investment in Stafford and makes excellent use of the MOD estate as we return British troops from Germany.”
Press enquiries to:
Tony Moran, DIO Communications Manager: 0121 311 3879 or tony email@example.com
DIO website: www.gov.uk/dio
Notes to editors
1. The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) is part of the Ministry of Defence (MOD). It is responsible for managing and maintaining land and properties to meet the current and future needs of the MOD and personnel at home and abroad, and to support current operations.
2. Our work includes providing, supporting and improving: operational units; single living and service family accommodation; training areas and historic military sites. DIO actively manages these to ensure the needs of Defence are met, value for money is achieved, our heritage is protected and to achieve our environmental goals.
3. The BORONA Programme is responsible for the overall project management of the move of the two Signal Regiments, plus other moves from Germany. For more information on the BORONA Programme, please see www.army.mod.uk/BORONA