INTELLIGENT POINT OF SALE LAUNCHES NEW BRAND TO SPEARHEAD EXPANSION PLANS
Edinburgh-based disruptive software company Intelligent Point of Sale has taken its first major steps on a global expansion strategy.
Following a £550,000 investment from Haymarket24 and Scottish Enterprise last year, the young company that provides a cloud and IPad-based electronic point of sale (EPOS) system for the hospitality and retail sectors has launched a new internationally-focused website and brand, alongside the latest version of its cutting-edge, low-cost app, intelligentpos®.
Having identified an immediately addressable market of over four million SMEs internationally, plans to scale up the business start with targeting English-speaking territories. The website has been designed to make sign-up to the service easy and professional no matter the location, and is supported by bespoke marketing automation software, customer relationship management systems and service desk functions.
A recent trip to the US has helped to identify and secure new international business partners.
Founding CEO, Robin Knox, sees this as the start of a new chapter for the company, which he set up from his kitchen table with Paul Walton in 2012. After two years of trading, Intelligent Point of Sale has seen its customer base double year on year while turnover broke through the £1m mark in 2015. The company is aiming for 15,000 users by 2018.
“With the investment we secured last year, we have been able to develop our product and continue to professionalise all areas of the business from sales and admin support through to development and marketing. We are ambitious and we are now ready to scale up without fear of experiencing any loss of service that an influx of customers might have once caused.
“As well as a great product we want to ensure that on-boarding with intelligentpos is a totally frictionless and memorable experience and this starts with our website, which is the first point of contact with our brand, and our online operation.”
“These are exciting times. Our electronic point of sale system is about putting big company tools into the hands of SMEs and start-ups at a fraction of the cost of traditional epos systems and we continue to add new features and develop its functionality. The potential market is huge and demand is growing. As a company we are about to springboard our product offering and take the value of our brand to a new level.
“In the UK alone, there are around 420,000 SME businesses in retail and hospitality and over 20 million in Europe. Starting with the English-speaking markets, with the right online presence and brand, we believe we can make an impact with minimal additional investment. From there, the plan is to expand into other foreign markets with a local-language app, website and inbound marketing activities.”
The latest version of intelligentpos includes a new reporting dashboard while future product up-grades made with the sector in mind will include customer loyalty products and integrations with other business software.
Notes to editors:
Intelligent Point of Sale Limited
1. Edinburgh-based Intelligent Point of Sale Limited supplies computerised cash register software and hardware to small and large businesses throughout the UK and internationally.
2. The product – intelligentpos - is an iPad and cloud-based point of sale application which allows businesses to process transactions with portable and flexible hardware and software.
3. intelligentpos allows business owners to remotely monitor their commercial activity, manage staffing levels and alter products and offers.
4. intelligentpos® is fully integrated with mature POS peripherals such as chip and pin provider Verifone and Xero – the world’s number one cloud accountancy system.
5. intelligentpos is a hybrid cloud system, meaning that it is not internet reliant.
6. Founded in October 2012 by business partners Robin Knox (age 28) and Paul Walton (age 29), Intelligent Point of Sale Limited currently employs 35 members of staff in Edinburgh.
7. intelligentpos license fees start at £39 plus VAT per month for the use of one iPad.
Elizabeth Lambley, Indigo, 0131 554 1230