A WEDDING DESTINATION FIT FOR A GODDESS - the Cyprus Tourism Organisation at The National Weddimg Show, Earls Court (27 to 29 September)
Visit the Cyprus Tourism Organisation – along with leading hotels and wedding tour operators - at Stand J45 at The National Wedding Show - Earls Court, London – 27 to 29 September 2013
- Visit the Cyprus Tourism Organisation – along with leading hotels and wedding tour operators - at Stand J45 at The National Wedding Show - Earls Court, London – 27 to 29 September 2013
- Stop by the CTO’s stand to be in with a chance of winning a holiday of a lifetime to Cyprus: a seven-night stay at the five-star St Raphael Resort in Limassol, including return flights from London for two
- Show off your fun side with your loved one, by capturing the moment at the CTO’s on-stand photo booth with a variety of iconic Cypriot landscape scenes – including Aphrodite’s Rock and the island’s many a breathtaking sunsets
- Stop by to collect a selection of traditional Cypriot wedding cakes and delicacies, including - Loukoumia and Pastichio, as well as Koufeta (sugar coated almonds)
- Visit the CTO’s newly launched dedicated bridal microsite, www.marrymecyprus.com, to exchange tips and hints on crafting the perfect wedding, as well as for a chance to win a series of competitions (running until April 2014)
- Press briefings available throughout the show with Antigone Kapodistria, the CTO’s Head Office Tourism Officer
As the mythical birthplace of Aphrodite, the ancient Greek goddess of love and beauty, Cyprus has a well-earned reputation as the island of love. Renowned as one of the leading wedding venue destinations in southern Europe, 2012 alone saw just under 9,000 couples – including 4,500 British –tie the knot on the Mediterranean’s third largest island.
With over 300 days of guaranteed sunshine a year and with regular flights from the UK, it’s no surprise Cyprus continues to tug at the Brits’ heartstrings as the choice destination for wedding ceremonies, blessings, renewal of vows and honeymoons alike.
With a range of bespoke wedding packages on offer, whether your dream big day will be held at one of the island’s world-class luxury five-star hotels (many of which have their own chapels), a secluded rural church in the alpine-esque Troodos Mountains, on board a yacht, on one of the island’s stunning beaches or even in an historic castle, Cyprus has something to offer every couple.
For the reception afterwards treat your guests to delicious fresh local produce or exciting international cuisine and drink a toast to your future with one of the oldest wines in the world, part of a 5,000 year old tradition of winemaking on the island.
For inspiration, a visit to Aphrodite’s Rock on the Pafos coast - the fabled birthplace of the goddess herself, as well as the tranquil 16th century Agia Napa Monastery are a must for any die-hard romantic.
With legal formalities similar to those in the UK and countless dedicated companies with decades of experience on hand to organise everything down to the last detail, the process is as easy as at home. English is widely spoken on the island and, for convenience, all wedding certificates and documentation are provided in English – reducing the stress of further ‘wed-min’ when returning back home.
Getting married in a hotel? Most have their own in-house wedding planner to take the stress out of the day. It can also be cheaper, with a range of competitively priced packages on offer, meaning the average cost of a wedding in Cyprus around two-thirds of those held in the UK.
Practicalities and top tips:
- Cyprus is just over four hours flying time from London
- It’s as easy to get married in Cyprus as in the UK with all ceremonies conducted in English – documents required include affidavits showing each partner is single, birth certificates etc.
- Couples must arrive on the island at least three working days before the wedding
- The most popular months for weddings are May and September but, increasingly, couples realise that spring comes early to Cyprus with temperatures in late March up to 28 degrees centigrade
Additional information – Anglican Churches
Richard the Lionheart, who married his bride, Berengaria of Navarre, in Limassol Castle in the Middle Ages, was arguably the first Brit to marry in Cyprus. And nowadays, the thousands of British couples who come to the island to tie the knot are spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing the perfect church to ‘Say I Do’:
Nicosia - St. Paul’s Anglican Cathedral, Lefkosia (www.st-pauls-nicosia.com)
Limassol - St. Barnabas Anglican Church, Lemesos (www.stbarnabas-cyprus.com)
Larnaka - St. Helena’s Anglican Church (www.sthelenaschurch.com)
Paphos & Polis –
- Agia Kyriaki / Chrysopolitissa Church
- St. Stephen’s Church, Tala Village
- St. Luke’s Church, Prodromi, Polis
Ayia Napa - Anglican Church of S E Cyprus (www.angsecyp.org)
- ENDS -
The following confectionary companies will be kindly providing a selection of Cypriot delicacies on-stand during The National Wedding Show:
Zorbas & Sons Ltd (www.zorbas.com.cy)
Ariston Concectionery (www.ariston.com.cy)
Chrysostomos Marangos Bakeries Ltd (www.marangos.com.cy)
La Patisserie Panayiotis Ltd (www.lapatisserie.com.cy)
Pandora Bakeries (www.pandorabakeries.com)
Pirillos Bakeries (www.pirillos.com.cy)
Notes to Editors
For high resolution images and more information on Cyprus and forthcoming press trips contact:
The Kallaway Travel team:
Email: email@example.com; 020 7313 6274
Media centre: http://mediacentre.kallaway.co.uk/cyprus-tourism.htm
The Cyprus Tourism Organisation:
Email: Lillian Panayi firstname.lastname@example.org; 020 7569 8822
Cyprus – the third largest island in the Mediterranean – attracts over 2m tourists annually –lured by its legendary hospitality, glorious coastline and stunning mountain villages. There is something to suit every traveller – family resorts, world class spas, golf courses, marinas, agrotourism, food and wine trails. For the active; the warm waters of Cyprus are perfect for diving and waterskiing. Adventure seekers can explore the beauty of Cyprus with trekking or birdwatching tours, while golfing enthusiasts play on award winning courses.