Loads of issues at Managing Large-Scale Fill Symposium, Jan. 25
(Port Perry, ON) Every year, millions of cubic metres of fill is transported to rural sites in Ontario. In the coming years, there is anticipated growth in demand for fill placement sites, given a large number of industrial, commercial, and residential construction projects in the GTA, as well as large infrastructure projects such as facilities for the Pan Am Games and new transportation routes such as the Highway 407 extension.
A symposium, hosted by the Township of Scugog and Kawartha Conservation, will feature perspectives from industry, community, science, and government, to explore the following:
- Examine and discuss the status of large fill issues and implications to communities
- Highlight Best Management Practices currently being applied, through specific case studies of large fill operations
- Identify known gaps in oversight of activities
- Discuss next steps forward in enhancing management of large-scale fill activities.
Speakers and panelists will include:
- Gord Miller - Environmental Commissioner of Ontario
- Dolly Goyette - Director, Ministry of the Environment
- Glenn De Baeremaeker - Councillor, City of Toronto
- Chuck Mercier - Mayor, Township of Scugog
- Bev Hendry - CAO, Township of Scugog
- Moreen Miller - CEO, Ontario Sand, Stone and Gravel Association
- Patrick Dovigi - CEO, Green for Life
- Doug LeBlanc - President, DLS Group
- Carmela Marshall - Lakeridge Citizens For Clean Water
- Josh Garfinkel - Senior Campaigner, Earthroots
- Chris Darling - Director, Development Review and Regulation, Central Lake Ontario Conservation Authority
- Steve Holysh - Conservation Authorities Moraine Coalition, YPDT Groundwater Science.
For details, including a complete agenda, see www.kawarthaconservation.com/fill
What: 2013 Large-Scale Fill Symposium
When: Friday, January 25, 2013
Time: 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Where: Scugog Recreation Centre, 1655 Reach Street, Port Perry, ON
For more information, press passes, and to arrange interviews:
- Bev Hendry, Chief Administrative Officer, Township of Scugog, email@example.com, 905-985-7346
- Brent Kulba, Kawartha Conservation, firstname.lastname@example.org, 705-328-2271 ext. 220, on-site cell 705-559-3900