Tigo Paraguay to offer customers 4G internet accessible on all enabled smartphones
12 January 2016 – Millicom announces that Tigo Paraguay is preparing to launch 4G/LTE commercial services and high speed internet on all enabled smartphones. Customers this month are replacing their Sim cards with 4G Sim cards for free, in anticipation of Tigo’s soon expected roll-out of 4G/LTE commercial services in Paraguay.
Paraguay’s National Telecommunications Council, known as CONATEL, approved Tigo Paraguay’s application for a 4G license in the 1,700-2,100 MHz (AWS) band in December 2015.
Tigo, Paraguay’s leading mobile network operator, has agreed to pay USD$45 million for three sub-band blocks, and now expects to launch the first of its 4G services in March 2016.
In anticipation of 4G’s widespread popularity, faster internet data speeds and improved, on-the-go access, 4G Sim cards are being distributed this month, free to Tigo customers.
Jose Perdomo, Chief Executive Officer- Tigo Paraguay, said: “4G technology is an absolute must-have for Paraguay. Consumer growth and demand, with the constant advances in technology, make it necessary, and we are delighted to have reached this important milestone, so that we can bring 4G to our customers.
“It is also part of our Digital Lifestyle drive across Latin America, so we can deliver great connectivity for our customers and pave the way for even greater innovations to follow.”
- Tigo is the country’s leading mobile operator with almost 4 million of customers.
- Tigo’s network penetration reaches 96 per cent of the national territory
- Tigo’s mobile money service – Tigo Money - has more than 1.2million customers
- Tigo Business serves more than 10,400 companies
- Tigo Paraguay has invested over US $1 billion since 1992
- The company has won Great Place to Work awards in 2011, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
- Tigo’s Corporate Responsibility programs include: an educational initiative called Tigo in Your Community that features the installation of digital classrooms in schools; a Telemedicina initiative in partnership with the Ministry for Public Health to improve public healthcare; and an initiative working with UNICEF to reduce infant mortality rates.
Tabitha Aldrich-Smith, Interim Communications Director
Tel: +352 277 59084 (Luxembourg) / +44 7971 919 610 / email@example.com
Nicolas Didio, Director, Head of Investor Relations
Tel: +352 277 59125 (Luxembourg) / +44 203 249 2220 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: +44 20 3772 2562
Millicom is a leading telecom and media company dedicated to emerging markets in Latin America and Africa. Millicom sets the pace when it comes to providing innovative and customer-centric digital lifestyle services to the world’s emerging markets. The Millicom Group employs more than 16,000 people and provides mobile services to some 60 million customers. Founded in 1990, Millicom International Cellular SA is headquartered in Luxembourg and listed on NASDAQ OMX Stockholm under the symbol MIC. In 2014, Millicom generated revenue of USD 6.4 billion and EBITDA of USD 2.1 billion.