TODAY IS #1 IN KEY DEMO, BEST WIN IN 2 MONTHS
TODAY Wins 167 Weeks in Key Demo, Best Streak in 6 Years
TODAY Tops GMA in Total Viewers Monday and Tuesday, Comes Within Just 18K Viewers for the Week
TODAY Is the Only Morning Show to Post Year-to-Year Growth in Total Viewers
TODAY Shrinks Total Viewer Gap with GMA By a Giant 93% Vs. Year Ago
NEW YORK – March 12, 2019 – NBC News’ TODAY was the number-one morning show last week topping ABC’s “Good Morning America” in the key A25-54 demo, marking its biggest win over GMA in eight weeks. TODAY has now won the key demo for 167 straight weeks, delivering its best streak in over six years.
TODAY won in total viewers Monday and Tuesday and came within just 18,000 viewers of GMA for the week. Of the morning news programs, TODAY is the only show to post total viewer growth versus a year ago, narrowing the total viewer gap with GMA by a whopping 93%. TODAY also grew across the board week to week, growing its key demo lead over GMA by 162% and narrowing the total viewer gap by 90%.
|CBS THIS MORNING||0.76||914||0.52||670||3,361|
|GOOD MORNING AMERICA||1.02||1,234||0.68||878||4,270|
TODAY averaged 1.467 million A25-54 viewers, leading GMA by +233,000 (+19%) and CBS This Morning by +553,000 (+60%)
- TODAY has now ranked #1 among A25-54 viewers for 167 consecutive weeks (best streak in over six years) and 183 of the last 184 weeks
- This represents TODAY’s highest A25-54 viewership in five weeks and its biggest lead over GMA since the week of 1/7/2019 (an eight-week high)
- Week-over-week, TODAY increased by +38,000 A25-54 viewers (+3%) while more than doubling its lead over GMA (+233,000 vs. +89,000 prior week, a 162% increase)
- TODAY improved its demo advantage over GMA by 78% compared to the same week last season (+233,000 vs. +131,000 prior year)
TODAY averaged 1.044 million A18-49 viewers, +166,000 (+19%) ahead of GMA and +374,000 (+56%) higher than CBS
- TODAY’s A18-49 lead over GMA hit a six-month high, its highest mark since the week of 8/20/2018
- Week-over-week, TODAY added +29,000 A18-49 viewers (+3%) and more than doubled its lead over GMA (+166,000 vs. +59,000 prior week, a 181% improvement)
- TODAY’s A18-49 advantage over GMA was also 77% higher than the same week last season (+166,000 vs. +94,000 prior year)
TODAY averaged 4.252 million total viewers topping CBS This Morning by +891,000 (+27%)
- TODAY ranked #1 on two mornings: Monday and Tuesday
- TODAY posted its biggest total viewer audience in five weeks, increasing by +68,000 viewers versus prior week
- TODAY was the only morning news program to grow its total viewership versus prior year (+2%, or +31,000)
- TODAY also narrowed its total viewer gap vs. GMA by 91% week-over-week and 93% year-over-year
TODAY ranks #1 among A25-54 and A18-49
TODAY is posting its biggest season-to-date total viewer lead over CBS in three years
o TODAY’s total viewer advantage over CBS is up 21% vs. the same period last season (+937,000 vs. +774,000 last season)
For more information contact:
Members of the media can get more information about NBCUniversal and its programming on the NBCUniversal Media Village Web site at www.nbcumv.com.
Follow us on Twitter @NBCNewsPR.
Photography and other information about NBC Universal programming is available at the NBC Universal Media Village Web site at www.nbcumv.com. Members of the press can register to download photography and receive daily press release headlines by clicking on the button at the top right on the site homepage and following the prompts.