TAKE TWO STEPS TO STAY SAFE FROM “THE SILENT KILLER”

The tragic death of Liverpool resident Mr Robert O’Donnell in the past week from carbon monoxide poisoning is a warning ahead of Gas Safety Week (14 - 20 September 2015) that anyone, anywhere can fall victim to CO poisoning.  B&ES (the Building & Engineering Services Association) issue a timely reminder that, as there are few things more important than the safety and well-being of our family, there are two vital steps you can take to stay out of harm’s way from “the silent killer”.

11 September 2015 The death of Liverpool resident Mr Robert O’Donnell from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a faulty gas heater in Mr O’Donnell’s flat, possibly switched on for the first time after the summer, is a tragic reminder that barely a week goes by without another victim falling prey to this odourless, invisible and potentially lethal gas.

As we enter Gas Safety Week (14 - 20 September 2015) B&ES, the Building & Engineering Services Association, issue a timely reminder that, as there are few things more important than the safety and well-being of our family, there are two vital steps you can take to stay out of harm’s way from “the silent killer”.

Their chief executive, Paul McLaughlin, comments, “Regrettably far too  many households go years without getting their cooking and heating appliances serviced and safety checked.  Homes with older boilers, fires and other gas appliances that have rarely or never been serviced pose a serious risk of giving off deadly carbon monoxide fumes.”

CO poisoning occurs when gas fired appliances such as boilers, cookers and fires are not operating correctly, and yet research undertaken by the Gas Safety Trust revealed that a third of people didn’t associate the maintenance of gas appliances with the avoidance of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mr McLaughlin adds, “You cannot see, taste or smell carbon monoxide and that’s why it can kill quickly with no warning.  It is the most common cause of fatal poisoning in the UK, with 40 people each year being killed by it and thousands more made ill.

“Don’t take chances; take two vitally important steps to keep your family safe from this potentially lethal killer.

“Step One is to call in a reputable, registered heating engineer to have your fuel burning appliances serviced and safety checked.

“Step Two, after having your appliances safety checked, is to install an audible carbon monoxide alarm.  These are widely available from as little as £15 and can be bought from online stores and many other outlets; alternatively you can of course ask your local Gas Safe Registered engineer to fit one for you.”

B&ES say it’s not difficult to find a reputable, reliable and registered engineer.  Simply visit the TrustMark website at: www.trustmark.org.uk or call 0333 555 1234.

Ends

Issued on behalf of the Building & Engineering Services Association (B&ES) by Next Step Marketing Ltd

Media enquiries to:  Rhian Kelly.  Tel:  44(0)1256 472020;

Fax:  44(0)1256 471010; E-mail:  rhian@nextstepmarketing.co.uk

Notes to editors

Gas Safety Week is a national safety campaign to raise awareness of gas safety in the UK's 23 million gas fuelled homes.  It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register with support from the gas industry including retailers, manufacturers, consumer bodies and the public.

Since its formation in 1904, B&ES, the Building & Engineering Services Association (formerly the HVCA) has represented the interests of companies engaged in a wide range of building and engineering services including domestic heating and renewable technologies.

B&ES members are subject to regular, third-party inspection and assessment of their technical competence and commercial capability, carried out by an independent certification body at least every three years.

B&ES members who undertake gas installations are registered with Gas Safe – the gas safety watchdog body – and are also members of TrustMark, the only Government-endorsed scheme for all trades in and round the home, signposting customers to expert local tradespeople.

Tags:

About Us

Next Step Marketing (NSM) is a marketing and communications agency based in north Hampshire. The business is headed up by Denzil Lee. Prior to setting up NSM Denzil spent 11 years as Director of Marketing for National Boat Shows Ltd (London Boat Show & Southampton Boat Show) and before that held other senior sales and marketing roles with two FTSE 100 PLCs. He has been a member of The Chartered Institute of Marketing since 1992, gaining Chartered Marketer status in June 1999. In November 2006 he was made a Fellow of the Institute. Since 1992 he has also been a member of The Marketing Society. We have worked across many different sectors with extensive experience of both consumer and B2B campaigns.

Media

Media

Quick facts

CO poisoning occurs when gas fired appliances such as boilers, cookers and fires are not operating correctly, and yet research undertaken by the Gas Safety Trust revealed that a third of people didn’t associate the maintenance of gas appliances with the avoidance of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Tweet this

Quotes

You cannot see, taste or smell carbon monoxide and that’s why it can kill quickly with no warning. It is the most common cause of fatal poisoning in the UK, with 40 people each year being killed by it and thousands more made ill.
Paul McLaughlin, B&ES chief executive