The Internet Foundation in Sweden is investing 2 Million SEK in Peppy Pals
Peppy Pals is a global game and education company that creates playful apps, e-books and films where children learn about emotions, empathy and resilience through storytelling and humor. As part of the work to support newly-launched Swedish internet companies, the Internet Foundation is now investing in the company.
Through play and humor, Peppy Pals products focus on teaching children and adults about social and emotional intelligence (EQ). The concept has been developed in cooperation with psychologists and researchers.
– We have chosen to invest in Peppy Pals, an exciting start-up company that fits in line with the type of issues the Internet Foundation works with. We think it is very exciting with a company that focuses on value-based education, says Danny Aerts, CEO of the Internet Foundation in Sweden, IIS.
The Internet Foundation, IIS, has long been pursuing educational initiatives related to teaching materials for children with, for example, Webbstjärnan, Kid Hack and the latest addition IIS Digital Lessons. Digital Lessons is an open digital teaching resource with complete lesson material to meet the curriculum changes taking place in the autumn of 2018 when digital competence is added to the school curriculum. The investment in Peppy Pals is seen as an extension of this.
– We are extremely glad that the Internet Foundation shares our values and acknowledge the growing demand in digital products for social and emotional learning. IIS has been incredibly professional throughout the entire investment process and has shown a deep understanding for us entrepreneurs. They have allowed us to prioritize our own business, been quick in their decisions and asked relevant questions, says Rosie Linder, founder and CEO of Peppy Pals.
During 2018, Peppy Pals will launch an EQ platform that gathers all of the company’s products in an adventurous app for children as well as a web-based version for parents and educators. The adult version includes easy-to-follow lesson plans, questions to discuss and diplomas for each scenario, as well as fun activities based on EQ. Educators are also given the opportunity to follow up and report their character education work with the help of the Peppy Pals’ platform. By giving children the opportunity to practice EQ, Peppy Pals helps to increase children’s self-esteem and ability to work with others, while also understanding their own and others’ feelings, and know how to deal with stress and anxiety.
The Internet Foundation as investors
The Internet Foundation in Sweden, IIS, has been investing since 2016 in newly formed Swedish companies. The main purpose is not to control or steer the company’s development, but instead to help companies in an early stage where it is difficult to attract investors. In these companies, the Internet Foundation shall be minority owners and the company should be able to buy back the shares in future investment rounds. Last year, the Internet Foundation invested in the companies Weld and Meta Solutions and Foo café.
The goal is to support three start-ups per year. For a company to be considered, they need to include:
– Focus on the Swedish market
– The company’s services or products should be in line with the Foundations purpose and values.
– Companies can get advice from the Internet Foundations organization.
– The Internet Foundation should not work in the companies’ boards.
For further contact
Danny Aerts, CEO Internet Foundation
Rosie Linder, CEO Peppy Pals
Co-Founder & CMO
Tel: (46) 7 39 41 02 51