HEXVIX® AT NUF 2019: FOCUS ON THE PATIENT EXPERIENCE
Plenary and poster sessions focusing on the patient perspective and the important role of urology nurses in supporting the patient and alleviating anxiety
Oslo, Norway, June 11, 2019: today Photocure ASA announced highlights from the 32nd NUF Congress (Scandinavian Association of Urology) in Reykjavik, Iceland June 5-8, 2019 attended by more than 300 urologists and urological nurses mainly from the Nordic countries. Blue Light Cystoscopy (BLC™) with flexible cystoscopes and Hexvix® was presented during plenary and poster sessions focusing on the patient perspective and the important role of nurses in optimizing patient care.
Three abstracts, two studies based on semi-structured interviews from Lillebaelt Hospital, Vejle, Denmark and one prospective study from Oslo University Hospital Aker, Norway, focused on the patient experience before, during and after the outpatient BLC with Hexvix® highlighting the nurse’s role in supporting the patient.
Key findings from the Danish studies by Louise F. Øbro et al.:
- 10 out of 12 patients described that they experienced emotional and physical support because it was the same nurse who handled all information and assignment before, during and after the BLC with flexible cystoscope procedure.
- Indications that patient´s preparation and the support from the nurse could reduce anxiety, especially if it is the first procedure for the patient.
- The BLC procedure in local anesthesia was well tolerated, and only one patient reported discomfort.
Key findings from the Norwegian study by Therese Langfeldt-Rugelbak et al.:
- The BLC with flexible cystoscope procedure with both biopsy and ablation (laser or diathermy) were performed on 59 patients. Average pain for biopsy vs. ablation was 2,3 vs. 4,3 on a 10-point VAS scale.
- Flexible BLC with Hexvix with biopsy and ablation of bladder tumors performed at the same time in local anesthesia is feasible and a well-tolerated outpatient procedure.
Here is a link to the abstracts: https://bit.ly/30Td9iU
"It is very encouraging to see how our most advanced Nordic market continues to develop Hexvix for the outpatient/ office setting. The opportunity to perform surveillance cystoscopies including biopsies and tumor removal in local anesthesia without bringing the patient to the operating room will have tremendous benefits for the patient’s comfort and peace of mind, but also on the healthcare community and cost management. The important contribution of the nurses to the patient experience was clearly demonstrated in these studies, and we foresee their role and impact to increase even further going forward”, commented Dan Schneider, President and CEO, Photocure ASA.
About Bladder Cancer
There are 7 151 new cases of bladder cancer in the Nordic and more than 2 044 deaths from the disease annually. Approx. 75% of all bladder cancer cases occur in men. It has a high recurrence rate with an average of 61% in year one and 78% over five years. Bladder cancer has the highest lifetime treatment costs per patient of all cancers.
Bladder cancer is a costly, potentially progressive disease for which patients have to undergo multiple cystoscopies due to the high risk of recurrence. There is an urgent need to improve both the diagnosis and the management of bladder cancer for the benefit of patients and healthcare systems alike.
Bladder cancer is classified into two types, non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC) and muscle-invasive bladder cancer (MIBC), depending on the depth of invasion in the bladder wall. NMIBC remains in the inner layer of cells lining the bladder. These cancers are the most common (75%) of all BC cases and include the subtypes Ta, carcinoma in situ (CIS) and T1 lesions. MIBC is when the cancer has grown into deeper layers of the bladder wall. These cancers, including subtypes T2, T3 and T4, are more likely to spread and are harder to treat.
About Hexvix®/Cysview® (hexaminolevulinate HCl)
Hexvix®/Cysview® is a drug that is selectively taken up by tumor cells in the bladder making them glow bright pink during Blue Light Cystoscopy (BLC™). BLC™ with Hexvix® /Cysview® improves the detection of tumors and leads to more complete resection, fewer residual tumors and better management decisions.
Cysview® is the tradename in the US and Canada, Hexvix® is the tradename in all other markets. Photocure is commercializing Cysview® /Hexvix® directly in the US and the Nordic region and has strategic partnerships for the commercialization of Hexvix®/Cysview® in Europe, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Please refer to https://bit.ly/2wzqSQQ for further information on our commercial partners.
All trademarks mentioned in this release are protected by law and are registered trademarks of Photocure ASA
This press release may contain product details and information which are not valid, or a product is not accessible, in your country. Please be aware that Photocure does not take any responsibility for accessing such information which may not comply with any legal process, regulation, registration or usage in the country of your origin.
For more information, please contact:
President and CEO, Photocure ASA
Tel: + 1-609 759-6515
CFO, Photocure ASA
About Photocure ASA
Photocure: The Bladder Cancer Company delivers transformative solutions to improve the lives of bladder cancer patients. Our unique technology, which makes cancer cells glow bright pink, has led to better health outcomes for patients worldwide. Photocure is headquartered in Oslo, Norway, and listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange (OSE: PHO). For more information, please visit us at www.photocure.com, www.hexvix.com or www.cysview.com
1. Globocan. Incidence/mortality by population. Available at: http://globocan.iarc.fr/Default.aspx
2. Babjuk M, Burger M, Zigeuner R, Shariat SF, van Rhijn BW, Compérat E, et al. EAU Guidelines on non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer (Ta, T1 and CIS). Eur Urol. 2016 Guidelines Edition:1-40.
3. Sievert KD et al. World J Urol 2009;27:295–300
4. Bladder Cancer. American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/bladder-cancer.html