PhotoCure ASA - High Clinical Acceptance of Metvix®PDT
Oslo, Norway, 19 August 2002
PhotoCure presents today its report for the three months ending 30 June 2002. Highlights from the report include:
Marketing of Metvix® PDT in Europe progressing as planned
- Following the issuance of the Finnish marketing authorisation in May, PhotoCure now holds national marketing authorisations for Metvix® PDT Photodynamic Therapy in all the Nordic countries. A total of 126 light sources have been installed at 86 clinical centres in this area.
- Metvix® PDT is approved in 15 countries, of which eleven have issued national marketing authorisation. Applications are pending in Switzerland, Australia and the US.
- Metvix® PDT was a main focus at Galderma's exhibition stand at the World Congress of Dermatology in Paris. In addition, Galderma sponsored a separate Metvix® PDT symposium.
- PhotoCure hosted a successful PDT symposium at the UICC International Cancer Congress in Oslo.
Positive Phase III Clinical Results in the Treatment of nodular BCC in the US
- A complex clinical Phase III trial of Metvix® PDT in nodular BCC is recently completed in the US with positive results. A NDA for BCC will be filed later this year.
Patient Enrolment Completed for First Phase III Clinical Trial with Hexvix® - Interim Data Positive
- Hexvix® fluorescence cystoscopy for detection of bladder cancer is undergoing clinical Phase III trials in Europe and the US. All patients are now enrolled in a European Phase III trial, and the interim data are positive.
Patient Enrolment Ongoing in Pilot Study with Benzvix®
- Benzvix® is being developed as a product for photodiagnostics and photodynamic therapy for early lesions in the gastro-intestinal tract, and the first patients are enrolled in a pilot study.
PhotoCure Investment in Anticancer Therapeutic Inventions AS
- PhotoCure has subscribed shares totalling NOK 5 million in Anticancer Therapeutic Inventions AS (ATI) - a leading company developing novel anticancer products based on a-particle radiation. Additionally, PhotoCure has an option to acquire additional shares increasing the ownership from an initial 6.6% to more than 60% of the outstanding shares of ATI.
Strong Financial Position
Professor Vidar Hansson, PhotoCure's President and CEO, has the following comment to the company's 2nd quarter results: "We are currently launching Metvix® PDT in the Nordic countries, and we are very pleased with the high clinical acceptance we see among dermatologists. Revenue from Metvix® sales will increase as new Metvix® centres in all the Nordic countries are being established. We expect that close to 50% of all dermatology centres in the Nordic countries will be providing Metvix® PDT during the next year."
For presentation of 2nd. quarter results use the following link:
For 2nd. quarter report use the following link:
For press release with tables use the following link: