Get a Taste of What Age UK Lincoln Can Offer
29th May 2013
Age UK Lincoln will be in Lincoln’s City Square on Friday (31st May) to give the Lincoln community a taster of what services and activities the charity offers.
Free to attend, the event will feature demonstrations from the Age UK Lincoln Park Street Activity Centre’s regular customers, including line dancing, tap dancing and a performance from the Age UK Lincoln choir.
The annual family-friendly day is open to everyone from 10am until 3pm and will include free face painting for children, tombola, a raffle and freshly baked scones from the Age UK Lincoln restaurant.
Every week the charity’s centre welcomes over 1,800 customers through its doors for classes, friendship clubs, socialising and for advice on day-to-day or specialist issues. The centre also has its own subsidised restaurant, hairdressers and computer suite.
Centre Manager Rosie Davidson said: “Some people think that attending an Age UK centre can have a stigma attached to it, but we want to show that this just isn’t the case. Our range of activities, clubs, classes and services are really great fun and easily accessible and are a huge part of many people’s social lives.”
Also at the event will be health representatives from Lincolnshire County Council, who will be on hand to give free and confidential blood pressure, BMI and general health checks to the general public. This includes a demonstration of the latest in sight loss technology.
Rosie added: “We aim to provide advice on absolutely everything that could affect our customers. If we don’t immediately know the answer, we will find out who does. It’s important to us that our customers feel that they can ask us anything.”
For those interested in Age UK Lincoln’s services, a number of staff will be on hand throughout the day to answer any questions and give information on a number of topics, including specialist insurance for the over 50s.
Please note: media are welcome to attend this event for photo and interview opportunities. The event will be held in Lincoln City Square on Friday 31st May, from 10am to 3pm.
Notes to editors
- Age UK Lincoln is an independent charity which is part of the national Age UK network. Registered charity number 1078539.
- This year Age UK Lincoln will celebrate its 55th anniversary on 7th June 2013.
- Age UK Lincoln’s aim is to enable people to lead full and active lives and stay safe and independent within their homes.
- The activity centre on Park Street, Lincoln is free to attend for people over 50 and doesn’t require membership. It offers activities such as language or art classes, dancing, computer skills, friendship clubs and more.
- The activity centre also offers free information and advice on issues such as finance, benefits, housing options and personal budgets.
- More information can be found at www.ageuk.org.uk/lincoln/