Royal Seal of Approval for BGU Cornerstone Building
1st February 2013
Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal will officially open the new library and student services building at Bishop Grosseteste University in Lincoln next month.
The Princess Royal’s visit on Friday 15thFebruary will round off a momentous year for the institution, which has celebrated its 150th anniversary and earned the right to use the university title for the first time.
The £2.75 million Cornerstone Building at BGU, which was refurbished and extended last year, houses the university's library and its student support and advice teams.
During her visit The Princess Royal will meet dignitaries including the university’s Vice Chancellor, Professor Muriel Robinson OBE, the Mayor of Lincoln, Councillor Karen Lee, the Bishop of Lincoln, the Rt Revd Christopher Lowson and Lincoln MP Karl McCartney.
She will also meet staff and students at BGU and visit BG Futures, the university's business incubation centre, and the university's coffee shop Curiositea.
Reporters, photographers and TV crews are welcome to attend. Full details and timings of the visit will be sent to the media nearer the time.
“Everyone here is looking forward to The Princess Royal’s visit with tremendous excitement,” said Professor Muriel Robinson, Vice Chancellor of Bishop Grosseteste University.
“We are very proud of our new Cornerstone Building and we’re delighted to welcome Her Royal Highness to open this fantastic facility. This event will cap an amazing 12 months for this institution, during which time we have celebrated 150 years of education in Lincoln and become recognised as a university for the first time.”
The Cornerstone Building houses 135,000 resources including books, journals, audio-visual resources (DVDs, CDs), ebooks and a renowned Teaching Resources Collection, including children’s books, resource packs and puppet bags.
It is also home to BGU’s Student Advice and Learning Development teams, bringing all the support students need in a first-class new facility.
Notes to editors:
- Bishop Grosseteste Universitywas established in January 1862 and celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2012.
- It is an independent higher education institution based in Lincoln which awards its own degrees at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- It changed its name from Bishop Grosseteste University College to Bishop Grosseteste University in November 2012.
- The timings of The Princess Royal’s visit will be released to the media in early February.
- The Princess Royal will also be visiting Lincoln College and Lindum Construction on 15th February.