Summer Entertaining With a Swiss Twist From Emmi Roth USA
(June 5, 2013 – Orangeburg, NY): The summer season brings out the social butterfly in everyone and invitations to outdoor fetes abound. Menu planning can be overwhelming, whether hosting a get-together or bringing a dish as a guest; but it is possible to incorporate elements that seem elegant and complex while keeping preparation simple. Choosing a high-quality cheese, such as Emmi Roth USA’s Kaltbach Cave-Aged Le Gruyère AOC cheese from Switzerland, can add instant flair to a basic recipe, taking it from bland to bold and giving guests something to savor.
“High-quality cheeses lend elaborate flavor profiles to a dish, which set it apart and give it its wow factor,” said Guido Kaelin, Vice President of Marketing and Procurement, Emmi Roth USA, Inc. “Le Gruyère is a staple ingredient in many classic recipes due to its cream content, dense texture and aging process, which make it an ideal cheese to cook with.”
To prove that summer simplicity doesn’t mean sacrificing quality, Emmi offers a quiche recipe as decadent as it is effortless:
Kaltbach Cave-Aged Le Gruyère Switzerland AOC Quiche Lorraine
1 unbaked pie crust, 9 inch round
8 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch piece
1/2 cup chopped onion
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
2 egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
6 ounces Kaltbach Cave-aged Le Gruyère
- Preheat oven to 325° F
- Bake pie crust 12 minutes and remove from oven
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from pan and drain.
- Blot out some of the oil from the skillet, leaving 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Add leeks, onion, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper
- Cook and stir until tender and browned, 5 to 7 minutes, then set aside
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks, cream and milk together in a large bowl. Add thyme and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle 1/3 onion-leek mixture on the bottom of the baked crust. Top with 1/3 cooked bacon and 1/3 Kaltbach Le Gruyère cheese. Ladle in half the egg mixture. Sprinkle with 1/3 the onion-leek mixture, 1/3 bacon, and 1/3 cheese. Pour in remaining egg mixture and top with remaining onion-leek mixture, bacon, and cheese.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the custard is golden brown, puffed, and set yet still slightly wiggly in the center.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Quiche can be made ahead of time, which is ideal when hosting a crowd; can be served with any meal; and brings a level of sophistication that makes for flawless summer fare. A fancy pie plate is all that is needed to dress up this dish.
Emmi Roth USA provides a wide variety of fine Swiss-style cheeses great for use in recipes or on their own. You can find them in the dairy or deli section at your local grocer and online at EmmiRothUSA.com/shop.
PRESS: For more information about Emmi Roth USA please contact Allison Gogarty at The S3 Agency: 973-257-5533 or agogarty@theS3agency.com
About Emmi Roth USA, Inc.
Emmi Roth USA, a subsidiary of Emmi Group, is a leading provider of specialty and artisan cheeses and premium fresh dairy products. Their expansive portfolio includes award-winning cheeses from Switzerland, Europe, and the United States, each crafted with pride from the freshest local milk. Key cheese brands include Kaltbach cave-aged, Grand Cru® and Buttermilk Blue®. Emmi Roth USA also features specialty dairy products, including Swiss Premium Yogurts. For more information about Emmi Roth USA, please visit Emmi.com.