USO Gala to Honor Military Heroes and Volunteers for Extraordinary Service and Sacrifice
Star-Studded Evening to include Master of Ceremonies Comedian/Actor Carlos Mencia and Country Music Legend Randy Travis
WHAT: 2011 USO Gala: 70 Years of Lifting the Spirits of America’s Troops and their Families
WHEN: Thursday, October 6, 2011
6:00 p.m. Red Carpet photo opportunity begins
6:30 p.m. Reception
7:30 p.m. Dinner, awards and entertainment
(1) Media must be in place by 5:00 p.m. (2) USO photos will be available upon request.
WHERE: Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
2660 Woodley Road, NW
Washington, DC 20008
WHO: USO President and CEO, Sloan D. Gibson
Master of Ceremonies, Carlos Mencia, comedian/actor
Entertainment, Randy Travis, country music superstar
Special Guests and Presenters
- Karl Malone, Hall of Famer
- Alyssa Campanella, Miss USA 2011
Department of Defense, Deputy Secretary of Defense William J. Lynn III
Members of Congress
- Congressman Stanford Bishop, (D-GA)
- Congresswoman Ann Marie Beurkle, (R-NY)
- Congressman John Dingell, (D-MI)
- Former Congressman Chet Edwards, (D-TX)
- Congresswoman Virginia Foxx, (R-NC)
- Congressman Darrell Issa, (R-CA)
- Congressman Carl Levin, (D-MI)
- Congressman Daniel Lungren, (R-CA)
- Congressman Joe Manchin, (D-WV)
- Congressman Buck McKeon, (R-CA)
- Congressman Nick Rahall II, (D-WV)
- Congressman Silvestre Reyes, (D-TX)
- Congressman Steve Womack, (R-AR)
USO Service Members of the Year
- Corporal David J. Bixler, 2nd Brigade Combat Team (Strike), 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY, United States Army
- Sergeant Lucas J. Chaffins, 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, CA, United States Marine Corps
- EOD1 Chad R. Regelin, Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile, Unit Three, Naval Base San Diego, San Diego, CA, United States Navy
- Senior Airman James A. Baynard, Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Security Forces, Washington, DC, United States Air Force
- AST3 Christopher R. Austin, USCG Sector Columbia River, Astoria, OR, United States Coast Guard
USO Volunteer of the Year
- Sergeant Milfred Shane Williams (USO Kaiserslautern- Warrior Center)
Spirit of the USO Award Recipients
- General James L. Jones, U.S. Marine Corps (Ret.), and Diane Jones
- Chairman Sponsor: TriWest Healthcare Alliance
- Vice Chairman Sponsors: ITT Corporation, Procter and Gamble
- Four Star Sponsors: Military.com, USA Today
- Three Star Sponsors: Express Scripts Inc., Huntington Ingalls Industries
CHAIRS: Chair: David McIntyre, TriWest Healthcare Alliance, Co-Chairs: Rima Al-Sabah, Barbara Levin, Patricia McKeon, Mary Murphy, Mary Jo Myers and Margaret Gibson
WHY: The USO is continuing a time-honored tradition of recognizing the bravery and sacrifice of an enlisted hero from each branch of the military. An estimated 1000 guests will gather to pay special tribute to our men and women in uniform. Also being recognized are USO Volunteer of the Year and Spirit of the USO recipients. The star-studded event will also be streamed LIVE courtesy of Military.com, to view online visit http://www.military.com/uso-gala-2011.
Pre-gala from 12pm-4pm, the USO will salute service member honorees and award recipients by providing them with complimentary makeovers at a beauty suite within the Marriott Wardman Park. The honorees special guests (i.e. mothers and/or spouses) will also be recognized for their support and sacrifice with beauty treatments. All of this is brought to them by Procter and Gamble.
The cost to attend the 2011 USO Gala is $1,000 per ticket. To inquire about ticketing please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
The USO is a nonprofit, charitable organization, relying on the generosity of the American people to support its programs and services. To learn more about the USO, visit uso.org.
About the USO
The USO lifts the spirits of America’s troops and their families millions of times each year at hundreds of places worldwide. We provide a touch of home through centers at airports and military bases, top-quality entertainment and innovative programs and services. We also provide critical support to those who need us most, including forward-deployed troops and their families, wounded warriors and their families and the families of the fallen.
The USO is a private, nonprofit organization, not a government agency. We rely on the generosity of our volunteers and donors. In addition to individual donors and other corporate sponsors, the USO is supported by Worldwide Strategic Partners: American Airlines, AT&T Inc., BAE Systems, The Boeing Company, Clear Channel Communications, The Coca-Cola Company, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft Corporation, Northrop Grumman Corporation, Procter & Gamble and TriWest Healthcare Alliance. We are also supported through the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign (CFC-11381). To join us in this patriotic mission and to learn more about the USO, please visit www.uso.org.