Vodafone wins case against Tax Authority

Vodafone wins case against Tax Authority Swedish County Administrative Court rejects Tax Authority demand The County Administrative Court in Växjö has ruled that Vodafone will not be required to provide the Swedish Tax Authority with itemised details of its employees' mobile telephone calls. The Court viewed such an obligation as a serious encroachment on personal integrity. The Swedish Tax Authority's demand for itemised details of mobile phone calls of a number of Vodafone employees has been rejected by the County Administrative Court in Växjö. The Court based its ruling on the fact that it considered the Tax Authority's request a serious encroachment on personal integrity. The court added that it would be almost impossible to conduct this kind of control in a manner that would provide a true and fair outcome. The Swedish Tax Authority had intended to investigate whether Vodafone employees were using their mobile telephones for private calls, thereby making them potentially liable to pay tax on such calls. Vodafone has at all times opposed the Tax Authority's demand on the grounds that it constitutes a violation of employees' integrity, and has therefore refused to hand over its call lists. "We are naturally delighted to have received the support of the Swedish County Administrative Court in this key issue as we believe that the Tax Authority's demand would violate the integrity of our employees and also damage our customers' faith in us in the long run. It is crucial for us that our customers feel they can trust us and that they firmly believe that we are handling details to which we gain access in the course of our activities in a professional and secure manner," says Jon Risfelt, President and CEO of Vodafone in Sweden. Vodafone is the first mobile operator in Sweden to have been issued this demand. Had the Tax Authority won it would most likely have had repercussions for a number of companies in Sweden. For more information, please contact: Jon Risfelt, President and CEO Tel: +46 708 33 10 01, e-mail: jon.risfelt@vodafone.se Vodafone is represented in Sweden by Europolitan Holdings AB and its subsidiaries, Vodafone Sverige AB and Vodafone Stores AB. Europolitan Holdings AB is listed on Attract 40 on the Stockholm Stock Exchange's O list. The majority shareholder is Vodafone Group Plc, which owns 71 per cent of the shares, while private shareholders, investment companies and pension funds own the remaining 29 per cent. Vodafone is the world's largest mobile network and is represented in 28 countries on 5 continents. It has more than 229 million mobile telecoms users. Our services enhance the efficiency of companies' operations and make it simpler and more fun for people to communicate. Read more at www.vodafone.se and www.vodafone.com. ------------------------------------------------------------ This information was brought to you by Waymaker http://www.waymaker.net The following files are available for download: http://www.waymaker.net/bitonline/2002/07/10/20020710BIT00450/wkr0001.doc http://www.waymaker.net/bitonline/2002/07/10/20020710BIT00450/wkr0002.pdf