Limited carpets from Kosta Boda
For the first time in a more than nearly three hundred year history Kosta Boda is launching a series of products to their assortment that is not made out of glass. They are handmade products designed by Kosta Bodas famous designers.
In cooperation with CarpetVista, market leaders in Europé when it comes to carpets, Kosta Boda has developed a series of limited carpets designed by Swedens top glass designers.
– ”It has been a challenge for the designers to work with a new material but they have really created fantastic carpets that will be a natural continuation of their limited series of art glass” says Magnus Andersson, CEO, Orrefors Kosta Boda
– ”It has been incredibly inspiring to work with the designers and translate their ideas and sketches into carpets and find ways around the limitations that are in the production. The final result is something very unique when it comes to carpet design” says Ludvig Friberger, CEO, CarpetVista.
– ”To go from glass to carpets is a great challenge, it’s the same thoughts and ideas but a whole new material and a whole new world of possibilities to explore. The calm strength of the oval shape and the way the colors act together has spilled over from the glass onto the soft and sensual feeling of the carpet under my feet” says designer Martti Rytkönen.
– ”It immediately felt like an exciting and fun mission to design a carpet for Kosta Boda in cooperation with CarpetVista. It is inspiring to get access to a new material and to work in a new process. The common denominator with my work as a glass designer is the freedom to express my own world of shapes and that the carpets are made with high quality and care. I have continued working with my glass ideas and have found new ways to give them shape and color. My carpet has a close togetherness with my art glass but at the same time it stands on its own, it is independent.” says Erika Lagerbielke, designer.
– ”When I got the question to make limited carpets I thought: what fun! I can take my small sketches and turn them into much larger formats and also translate these onto carpets. It was an amazing challenge and very exciting.” says Kjell Engman, designer.
– ”To get the opportunity to design carpets has been an amazing experience! To translate my designs from the glass to an exclusive carpet has been an exciting process. That two materials, that are so different, can talk the same “language” and fit so well together is great to watch” says Anna Ehrner, designer.
– ”Within Kosta Boda we have discussed the possibility of expanding our brand to further product groups within interior design for a long time. Carpets feels like a natural first step on that path. There are many common denominators with our existing assortment, amongst others that carpets are a design driven product and that they are handmade. After having presented the concept to our designers, who really liked the idea and were eager to get started, we decided to go for carpets” says Magnus Andersson, CEO, Kosta Boda.
The carpets are handmade out of wool of the highest quality with elements of silk to enhance the details of the pattern. They will be sold by selected furniture- and glass retailers and they are already available at kostaboda-artgallery.se and carpetvista.com.
Magnus Andersson, CEO, Orrefors Kosta Boda AB
Phone: +46 478 346 78
Orrefors Kosta Boda AB is a design company in the Swedish province of Småland that designs and makes high-quality utility glassware and art glass. We develop, produce and sell a wide range of utility and art glass for private and public use under the brands Orrefors and Kosta Boda. We are the largest glassworks group in the Nordic countries with a history dating all the way back to 1742.
The glasswork in Kosta constitute the heart of our business. A genuine glasswork environment close to the craftsmanship and the designers. In Kosta we also run extensive tourism and events operations that attract more than one million visitors each year.
Since 2005, Orrefors Kosta Boda AB has been part of New Wave Group, which works with several brands in the consumer and corporate market in the areas of sport, leisure, furnishings and gifts. New Wave Group is listed on the NASDAQ OMX Stockholm exchange.