Going "old school" with your telecoms is good for business!
While we are now living in a very modern, mobile environment, new research from telecoms providers Telcare reveals that traditional, fixed telephone lines are still an essential for businesses.
The study* found that when contacting businesses for help and support, 84% of people prefer to call a local or 0845 number rather than a mobile. Reasons cited for this preference included:
- landlines are cheaper to call and do not cut out;
- a landline is connected to a business and information is more likely to be to hand;
- it shows the company has a real location;
- it feels more legitimate.
Lisa Settle, Director at Telcare, says: “Our study highlights just how important having a landline for your business is. It gives people more confidence that they are dealing with a real, professional, company.
“This may be particularly relevant to start-ups, who often pour lots of thought and money in to designing a company logo and getting business cards printed up etc, while not thinking about the most important part of their business – their business telephone.
“If you have a company but are not winning new clients, it might be because you are trying to run a business from a mobile phone. As our survey shows, this is not a good perception of your business and does not send out the right message.”
The study also asked which method of communication (telephone or email) people prefer to use, both professionally and personally, when requiring help and information from a business.
50% said they prefer to use the telephone because:
- the call is often recorded, so you have an audit trail;
- it is quicker than waiting for an email reply and easier;
- you can generally get the answer to your question right away.
42% said they prefer to use email because:
- you have a written record;
- it is in writing, so you can be confident the message will not be relayed incorrectly;
- it is easier to say what you need to say in an email, without getting all tongue tied.
Also, on the subject of telephoning versus emailing, men are nearly twice as likely to telephone (60%) compared to women (33%).
*Carried out in March 2013 on behalf of Telcare by Usurv.com
Lisa Settle, Director, Telcare on: 01634 731350 or email:
At Telcare we are an eco-friendly and extremely customer-focused telecommunications service and maintenance operation and are proud of the personal service we are able to offer to all our clients, big or small. Since our formation in 1997, we have found that the relationships formed with our clients have proved not only good business but a remarkable form of advertising.
Based in Kent but working nationwide, our aim has always been to fulfil our customer needs, no matter what they may be. We can assist customers with all their telecom requirements, from installing business telephone systems, telephone system maintenance needs, to lines and billing.