EPA RECOGNIZES CALPORTLAND® WITH 2014 ENERGY STAR® PARTNER OF THE YEAR - SUSTAINED EXCELLENCE AWARD
CalPortland® earns award for protecting the environment through superior energy efficiency!
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has recognized CalPortland Company with a 2014 ENERGY STAR PARTNER OF THE YEAR - Sustained Excellence Award for their continued leadership in protecting our environment through superior energy efficiency. CalPortland’s accomplishments will be recognized in Washington, D.C. on April 29, 2014.
CalPortland, an ENERGY STAR partner since 1996, will be honored for its long-term commitment to energy efficiency.
Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Reducing energy intensity by nearly two-percent compared to 2012 resulting in 0.13 trillion Btu in savings. This amounts to a reduction of 12,586 metric tons of CO2. Cumulative reductions in energy intensity of nearly 14 percent since 2005 have saved over $52 million.
- Launching the President's $1 Million Dollar Energy Savings Challenge company-wide. The initiative solicits energy savings ideas from employees and rewards the best energy ideas and implementation of projects at plants.
- Conducting an in depth study of natural gas fuel use in on/off road vehicles to reduce greenhouse gas emissions; a pilot project is planned for an asphalt plant.
- Completing a large gas conditioning tower project at the Mojave Cement Plant reducing energy consumption by 15.7 million kWh per year and producing an annual savings of $1.25 million.
- Aggressively promoting ENERGY STAR and energy management to the cement, ready mixed concrete, and aggregates industries from direct company mentoring to executive participation in industry association events.
- Launching a major purchasing campaign to work with vendors to improve store room inventories with emphasis on energy-efficient spare parts.
- Engaging 17 sites in the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry, including asphalt, aggregate, terminals and ready mix concrete.
“CalPortland is honored to receive this award for the 10th consecutive year,” said President/CEO Allen Hamblen. “We are committed to our partnership with ENERGY STAR, and dedicated to improving energy efficiency throughout our business, which helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions and protect the environment.”
Across the U.S., top companies and organizations are leading the way toward a more energy-efficient future through their participation in ENERGY STAR.
Through 2013, with help from ENERGY STAR, American families and businesses have saved $297 billion on utility bills and prevented more than 2.1 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions.
“CalPortland has earned EPA’s highest ENERGY STAR award – the 2014 PARTNER OF THE YEAR – Sustained Excellence Award – because of their unwavering commitment to helping consumers become increasingly more energy efficient,” said EPA Deputy Administrator Bob Perciasepe.
The 2014 PARTNER OF THE YEAR - Sustained Excellence Awards are given to a variety of organizations to recognize their contributions to reducing greenhouse gas emissions through superior energy efficiency. These winners have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by setting and achieving aggressive goals, and employing innovative energy efficiency approaches. These awards recognize ongoing leadership across the ENERGY STAR program, including energy-efficient products, services, new homes, and buildings in the commercial, industrial, and public sectors. Award winners are selected from the 16,000 organizations that participate in the ENERGY STAR program.
For More Information, Contact CalPortland at (626) 852-6200 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About CalPortland Company
CalPortland Company is a major producer of cement, ready mixed concrete, aggregates, concrete products and asphalt in the western United States and Canada. Founded in 1891 with the principle of providing "unsurpassed quality", CalPortland remains a leader in the industry through its commitment to the highest quality products, customer service, technical support and environmental leadership. The company maintains its headquarters in Glendora, California and operates in the Western U.S. and two Canadian Provinces. For more information about CalPortland Company, visit email@example.com
About ENERGY STAR
ENERGY STAR was introduced by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 1992 as a voluntary market-based partnership to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through increased energy efficiency. Today, ENERGY STAR offers businesses and consumers energy-efficient solutions to save energy, money, and help protect the environment for future generations. 16,000 organizations are ENERGY STAR partners committed to improving the energy efficiency of products, homes, and buildings. For more information about ENERGY STAR, visit www.energystar.gov or call toll-free 1-888-STAR-YES (1-888-782-7937).