UK’s bus & coach industry honoured at routeone Awards 2016
The best coach, bus and minibus operators of the year announced
Birmingham, UK: The winners of the 2016 routeone Awards were announced last night (2 November) at a prestigious ceremony attended by over 800 industry professionals at the Hilton Metropole in Birmingham, following the second day of Euro Bus Expo.
Arriva, National Express, Reading Buses, Nottingham City Transport, Central Buses, Passenger Plus, Epsom Coaches, Edwards Coaches, Maynes Coaches , Ensignbus, Lakeside Coaches, and Austin Travel t/a Capital Scotline/ AT Travel, were among the operators who won accolades.
South East Dorset Voluntary Quality Bus Partnership was named the Partnership of the Year – an award which recognises operators and local authorities who worked together to deliver high quality services for their customers. While Cyril Kenzie of Kenzies Coaches was this year’s recipient of the Special Award for outstanding contribution to the industry.
Launched in 2005 and now in its 12th year, the annual awards are specifically designed to celebrate and reward the highest level of coach, bus and minibus operator excellence. They are organised by Diversified Communications UK, and hosted by routeone magazine. The awards were presented by co-hosts routeone editor Mel Holley and BBC Breakfast’s Steph McGovern.
Simon Coe, group director at Diversified UK, says: “The routeone Awards are the most important annual celebration of the very best in the business. The incredible standard (and record number) of entries across the board for 2016, reflects a thriving industry and is a testament to the strength of commitment of the individuals working within it. Congratulations again to all our fantastic winners.”
routeone Awards 2016 winners:
- Engineer of the Year, large operator (over 150 vehicles): John Bickerton, Reading Buses
- Engineer of the Year, small/medium operator (up to 150 vehicles): Cedric Dalton, Arriva Midlands in Tamworth
- Environment Award: Arriva North West
- Excellence in Minibus Operation: Passenger Plus
- Innovation of the Year: Epsom Coaches, Digital Walk-Round Checks
- Large Bus Operator of the Year (over 150 vehicles): Nottingham City Transport
- Large Coach Operator of the Year (over 50 vehicles): Edwards Coaches
- Manager of the Year, large operator (over 150 vehicles): Martijn Gilbert, Reading Buses
- Manager of the Year, small/medium operator (up to 150 vehicles): Kevin Mayne, Maynes Coaches in Buckie
- Medium Bus Operator of the Year (51-150 vehicles): Ensignbus
- Medium Coach Operator of the Year (16-50 vehicles): Lakeside Coaches
- Operator Training Award: National Express West Midlands
- Partnership of the Year: South East Dorset Voluntary Quality Bus Partnership
- Small Bus Operator of the Year (1-50 vehicles): Central Buses, Birmingham
- Small Coach Operator of the Year (1-15 vehicles): Austin Travel, t/a Capital Scotline/ AT Travel in Edinburgh
- Special Award: Cyril Kenzie, Kenzies Coaches in Shepreth
This year’s judging panel included former Volvo MD Steve Dewhurst, former traffic commissioner Chris Heaps, former Proudmutual director Tony Kennan, former Stagecoach commercial director Peter Nash, and former Plaxton sales director Kevin Wood. It was chaired by former routeone editor Mike Morgan.
Award sponsors: Knorr Bresme, Yutong (Pelican Bus & Coach), Gas Bus Alliance, Webasto, Parkeon, Millbrook, Volvo, Transaid, Wrightsure, Scania, Distinctive Systems, FTA, Warners Midlands, Coach & Bus UK 2017, Mercedez Benz (Evobus), and ZF UK.
The third day of Euro Bus Expo 2016 is open from 9.30am to 4pm today in hall 5 at the NEC Birmingham. For more information, and to register for a free ticket, please visit www.eurobusxpo.com.
For further information about the routeone Awards, please visit www.routeoneawards.com.
t: 01926 455269
High resolution images are available upon request:
Winners (group shot): http://www.divcom.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/ROA_Winners_hi-res.jpg
Winners (group shot): http://www.divcom.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/ROA_Winners_low-res.jpg
Diversified Communications UK Ltd (Diversified UK) is a fast growing trade event organiser and publisher based in Brighton, Peterborough, and Nailsworth. Diversified UK’s portfolio includes The Route One Operator Excellence Awards; routeone magazine; Euro Bus Expo; Coach & Bus UK; Coach Monthly; CDC News; miniPLUS; CDC Coach Tourism Yearbook; The British Coach Tourism Awards; British Tourism & Travel Show; Accountex; SITS – The Service Desk & IT Support Show; Natural & Organic Products Europe; Nordic Organic Food Fair and Natural Products Scandinavia in Malmö, Sweden; Natural Products News; Natural Beauty News; Casual Dining; lunch!; Commercial Kitchen; Geo Business; Ocean Business; Capturing Reality; and MARELEC Marine Electromagnetics conference. For more information, visit: www.divcom.co.uk.
Diversified UK is part of Diversified Communications, a leading international media company providing market access, education and information through global, national and regional face-to-face events, digital and print publications and television stations. Diversified serves a number of industries including: seafood, food service, natural and organic, healthcare, commercial marine, and business management. Based in Portland, Maine, USA, Diversified employs over 850 staff, across eight divisions in seven countries. For more information, visit: www.divcom.com.