Generation Moustache: Stand Up. Make Change. Do Good.
Enlist today at Movember.com
TORONTO, ON (October 31st, 2013) -- Movember is here and Generation Moustache stands for one thing, change. Movember is calling for Canadians to join the generation of men and women dedicated to changing the face of men’s health by registering at Movember.com. Last year over 247,000 Mo Bros and Mo Sistas helped raise over $42.6 M for men’s health in the areas of prostate cancer, men’s mental health and through its Global Action Plan (GAP), testicular cancer. This year Movember is adding some new moustache fun, including MOVE, Movember Rated Barbers and the Chris Hadfield Big Mo On Campus (BMOC) Challenge that will award the 2 leading campus teams the experience of 1:1 time with the Canadian astronaut. To register and learn more visit Movember.com.
KNOW WHY YOU MO
Through the power of the moustache Mo Bros and Mo Sistas across Canada are making an everlasting impact on men’s health.
- 138 programs to date, including:
- o Movember Discovery Grants
- o Movember Team Grants
- o Movember Rising Stars
- o Men’s Mental Health Initiatives
- 538 M conversations had about men’s health during the 2012 campaign in Canada
- o 79% discussed their health with friends, family and colleagues
- o 70% talked about specific men’s health issues
- o 69% of Mo Bros had a general checkup with their doctor
- o 67% recommended that someone else see a doctor
- o 43% became more aware and educated about the health risks they face
"Today men bravely lend their upper lips as they register and embark on another exciting journey while raising funds and awareness for men’s health,” said Pete Bombaci, Country Director, Movember Canada. “We stand together for change and I look forward to standing alongside Mo Bros and Mo Sistas as we make an everlasting impact on men’s health.”
“Early detection is key and can make a significant difference in providing a positive outcome for men suffering from prostate cancer,” said, Randy Mellow, Essex-Windsor EMS Chief. “This Movember my friends, colleagues and family are all uniting online and joining my team at Movember.com. It’s amazing to see everyone come together to raise awareness for a cause that hits close to home.”
HOW TO MO
Registration is simple, fun and all done at Movember.com. On November 1st men start clean-shaven and grow their moustache for 30 days, getting friends, family and colleagues to join their team and donate to their Mo growing efforts. Women, or Mo Sistas, are key to the campaign's
success. They act as ambassadors for the Mo, spreading the word about men's health and showing their support for the men in their life. At the end of Movember everyone unites to celebrate their journey at official Gala Partés or they can host their own.
- MOVE: A new global initiative designed to encourage Mo Bros and Mo Sistas to get moving during the month and become more engaged in their health and well-being.
- Movember Rated Barbers: A network of barbershops Movember has built over the last 10 years that share our passion for fine grooming and men’s health.
- Chris Hadfield Big Mo On Campus (BMOC) Challenge: Commander Hadfield is challenging campus students to join the BMOC network. Chris will be visiting the top fundraising campus teams per capita (in Canada and Globally) to congratulate them and speak to their school.
- Movember Collection: All you need to get outfitted in official Mo gear.
For media inquiries please contact:
778 837 1122
416 917 6738
Movember aims to forever change the face of men's health through the power of the moustache, by raising awareness and funds for prostate cancer, testicular cancer and men’s mental health initiatives. Funds raised are directed to programs run directly by the Movember Foundation and our men’s health partners in each country. Together, the channels work to ensure that Movember funds are supporting a broad range of innovative, world-class programs in line with our strategic goals; living with and beyond cancer, staying mentally healthy, living with and beyond mental illness and men’s health research. Since 2003, 3 million participants have raised over $446 M for the cause, with official Movember campaigns taking place in 21 countries. For more information please visit Movember.com or @MovemberCA. Movember is a registered charity in Canada - BN 848215604 RR0001.