BEWARE THE DANGER OF CO POISONING WHEN USING BBQS

Whether at home or on holiday summer is BBQ time, but they can pose a real risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if used in poorly ventilated or confined areas like inside a tent or the awning of a caravan.  Timely advice comes from the Carbon Monoxide Helpline.

23 April 2014 It was this time last year that a young teenage girl died from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning caused by the fumes from a disposable barbecue placed inside her family’s tent during their bank holiday camping break, and regrettably there have been a number of similar tragic incidents in recent years.

The Building & Engineering Services Association (B&ES), who operate the free consumer advice service the Carbon Monoxide Helpline, say that too many families are still unaware of the risks involved with taking lit or smouldering BBQs inside tents, awnings or caravans; pointing out that barbecue charcoal can smoulder for hours after lighting and the remaining ash could also start a fire.  Even at home, a BBQ used in a sheltered or confined area can pose a danger.

Roderick Pettigrew, Chief Executive of B&ES, comments, “Families going camping or caravanning in the coming months need to be aware that carbon monoxide can build up very quickly in enclosed spaces, such as tents and awnings, to levels that can kill.  And with the chill of evening they might be tempted to use the still burning coals of a BBQ for warmth.   But this could prove fatal – BBQs should never be used or left inside tents or awnings once they have been lit.  Even at home there can be a danger, for example taking a BBQ inside a garage or car port if it starts to rain.

“Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless, non-irritant gas.  It is the most common cause of fatal poisoning in the UK, with 40 people each year being killed by it and hundreds more made seriously ill.  And, whilst the majority of incidents happen in the home, there is a risk from exposure in holiday accommodation, caravans, motor homes, tents and boats as these often use fuel burning appliances in what can be a poorly ventilated area.”

The Carbon Monoxide Helpline provides comprehensive information about the dangers of CO poisoning and how to keep out of harm’s way from this “silent killer”.  You can call the Freephone Helpline number 0800 810 8464 anytime or visit the website at:  www.cohelpline.org.

Ends

Issued on behalf of the Building & Engineering Services Association (B&ES) by Next Step Marketing Ltd

Media enquiries to:  Heather Lambert.  Tel:  44(0)1256 472020;

Fax:  44(0)1256 471010; E-mail:  heather@nextstepmarketing.co.uk

Notes to editors

Since its formation in 1904, B&ES, the Building & Engineering Services Association (formerly the HVCA) has represented the interests of companies engaged in a wide range of building and engineering services including domestic heating and renewable technologies.

B&ES members are subject to regular, third-party inspection and assessment of their technical competence and commercial capability, carried out by an independent certification body at least every three years.

B&ES members who undertake gas installations are registered with Gas Safe – the gas safety watchdog body – and are also members of TrustMark, the Government-endorsed scheme designed to direct customers towards reliable tradespeople.

B&ES operates the Carbon Monoxide Helpline (http://www.cohelpline.org) to provide consumers with advice about the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and how to keep out of harm’s way from this “silent killer”.

Tags:

About Us

Next Step Marketing (NSM) is a marketing and communications agency based in north Hampshire. The business is headed up by Denzil Lee. Prior to setting up NSM Denzil spent 11 years as Director of Marketing for National Boat Shows Ltd (London Boat Show & Southampton Boat Show) and before that held other senior sales and marketing roles with two FTSE 100 PLCs. He has been a member of The Chartered Institute of Marketing since 1992, gaining Chartered Marketer status in June 1999. In November 2006 he was made a Fellow of the Institute. Since 1992 he has also been a member of The Marketing Society. We have worked across many different sectors with extensive experience of both consumer and B2B campaigns.

Media

Media

Quick facts

Many families are still unaware of the risks involved with taking lit or smouldering BBQs inside tents, awnings or caravans; barbecue charcoal can smoulder for hours after lighting and the remaining ash could also start a fire.
Tweet this
Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless, non-irritant gas. It is the most common cause of fatal poisoning in the UK, with 40 people each year being killed by it and hundreds more made seriously ill.
Tweet this

Quotes

Families going camping or caravanning in the coming months need to be aware that carbon monoxide can build up very quickly in enclosed spaces, such as tents and awnings, to levels that can kill.
Roderick Pettigrew, B&ES Chief Executive
BBQs should never be used or left inside tents or awnings once they have been lit. Even at home there can be a danger, for example taking a BBQ inside a garage or car port if it starts to rain.
Roderick Pettigrew, B&ES Chief Executive