Northern Power Systems Awarded TÜV Rheinland Certification
Prestigious international symbol associated with superior quality, safety and health
Zurich, Switzerland (5 December, 2013) – Northern Power Systems, a next-generation wind turbine technology company, announced today that it has been awarded TÜV Rheinland certification.
This prestigious international symbol is associated with superior quality, safety, and health, and distinguishes Northern Power Systems from its competitors in the European marketplace.
To obtain the mark, the company’s designs must pass a certification process and then a factory audit by TÜV Rheinland. During the factory audit, Northern Power Systems’ power converter design (the entire electrical system inside the turbine) for its NPS60 and NPS100 wind turbines was tested for safety and performance. Among the grid interactive features certified to advanced standards were Low Voltage Ride Through (LVRT); active, real and reactive power functionality; and radiated and conducted Electromagnetic Interference (EMI).
Upon completion of the review, TÜV Rheinland was confident in Northern Power’s capability to manufacture to the certified design and awarded the TÜV mark.
“This certification demonstrates Northern Power’s commitment to excellence in quality when producing reliable, grid-ready wind technology,” said Chris McKay, Head of Product, Northern Power Systems.
What is TÜV Certification?
- Proof from an accredited test and certification body that a company’s products meet all requirements of relevant European Union Directives.
- Official statement of conformity accompanied by appropriate documentation as specified by European Union regulations or customer requirements.
- Emphasis on special product properties such as safety, quality, durability, environmental compatibility, and conformity to standards.
- Up-to-date information on changes regarding technical regulations and developments in testing and certification.
The TÜV Rheinland Group has been a leading provider of technical services worldwide for over 140 years. As an independent, neutral and professional organization, TÜV Rheinland is committed to working towards a future that can fulfill the needs of both mankind and the environment in the long term.
Executive Assistant, Europe
41 44 307 3733
Northern Power Systems AG
About Northern Power Systems
Northern Power Systems designs, manufactures, and sells wind turbines, and provides engineering development services and technology licenses for the global energy marketplace from its US headquarters and European offices.
* Northern Power Systems has almost 40 years’ experience in technologies and products generating renewable energy.
* Northern Power Systems currently manufactures the NPS™ 60 and NPS™ 100 turbines. With over 3.5 million run time hours across its global fleet, Northern Power wind turbines provide customers with clean, cost effective, reliable renewable energy.
* Patented next generation permanent magnet/direct drive (PM/DD) technology uses fewer moving parts, delivers higher energy capture, and provides increased reliability due to reduced maintenance and downtime.
* Northern Power Systems offers comprehensive in-house development services, including systems level engineering, advanced drivetrains, power electronics, PM machine design, and remote monitoring systems to the energy industry.
* Some of the world’s largest manufacturers license NPS next generation technology and intellectual property for their utility and distributed wind products and markets.
To learn more about Northern Power Systems, please visit www.northernpower.com.