PostNord leads the industry into the low-carbon economy
March 17, 2021 at 8am
PostNord achieved its climate goal for 2020 and has thus reduced its carbon footprint by 40 percent compared to the 2009 level. With a continued focus on sustainability, an ambitious new goal has now been set: fossil-free operations by 2030.
With its leading position and important role in society, PostNord has a considerable responsibility to contribute to sustainable development in an industry that depends on transport. The Group has conducted goal-oriented work on sustainability issues for a long time, and is now raising its ambitions yet again.
“The aim is to lead the letter and logistics industry into the low-carbon economy by becoming fossil free by 2030. With a clear goal of becoming fossil free, PostNord continues to take responsibility for the national and global climate goals,” says PostNord President and Group CEO Annemarie Gardshol.
The Group is working to draw up green business plans for how the transition can be implemented, taking into account the conditions in the various Nordic markets. Including suppliers, customers and consumers in the efforts is a key element in achieving the goal.
“With the full support of the board behind us, we will be able to make even more climate-friendly investments, but the goal of becoming fossil free includes not only our own vehicles, but also those of subcontractors who perform transports on our behalf. We are a large buyer of transport services, and thus have the opportunity to transform an entire infrastructure. In order for us to be able to carry out this transformation together, we will share our lessons learned, both positive and negative,” says Annemarie Gardshol.
Achieving the goal will require innovation in areas ranging from efficient logistics and e-commerce to increased electrification and secure access to biofuels in all our markets.
Reducing our carbon footprint by 40 percent by 2020 compared to 2009 was a challenge.
“The ambition was high when the CO2 goal was defined and, as the volumes being transported have increased significantly due to volumes relating to parcels increasing rapidly, it was a real challenge to achieve it. But thanks to excellent focus and a clear vision of the goal, we managed it! This gives us the confidence to take on an ambitious new climate goal,” says Annemarie Gardshol.
Examples of PostNord’s success in the area of sustainability:
- reduced its carbon footprint by 40 percent compared to 2009
- provision of support for customers in the printing industry, who are wholeheartedly investing in digital printing for sustainable development
- less empty space when packing vans and trucks, for example by using the innovative SpaceInvaders system, which can be used to stack pallets
- fossil-free delivery operations throughout Södermalm in Stockholm and in the city center of Malmö, Sweden
- ranked the most sustainable logistics brand, according to Swedish consumers*
Examples of upcoming activities that will help achieve the climate goals:
- methodical reviews of customer transport arrangements, to identify more climate-smart solutions
- fossil-free transports in various Finnish and Swedish cities
- investment in electric and other environmentally friendly vehicles in Norway
- participation in the EthaDrive project, where two ethanol-powered heavy trucks, based in Norrköping, Sweden, started operating in fall 2020
- reduction of the climate impact by ensuring use of electric distribution vehicles by third-party customers (TPL)
- new environmentally friendly terminal in Tampere, Finland
* For the second time, PostNord Sweden heads the industry rankings in the European brand study Sustainable Brand Index (brand study about sustainability in the consumer market in Sweden; the ranking is a combination of both environmental factors and social responsibility, based on the definition of sustainability according to the UN’s sustainable development goals).
Contact person: Sofia Leffler Moberg, PostNord Group’s Head of Sustainability, can be reached at
+46 (0)72 144 61 42 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can read more about our sustainability work on the Group’s website: https://www.postnord.com/sustainability
For further information, please contact:
PostNord Media Relations, tel: +46 (0)10 436 10 10, e-mail: email@example.com
We make everyday life easier. PostNord is a leading provider of parcel and logistics services to, from, and within the Nordic region. We ensure the provision of a postal service to households and businesses in Sweden and Denmark, regardless of where they live and work. PostNord connects companies, public authorities and consumers and enables business, trade and communication in the Nordic region. With our expertise and strong distribution network, we put in place the conditions for the e-commerce, distribution, logistics and communication solutions of tomorrow in the Nordic region. In 2020, the Group had around 28,000 employees and sales of SEK 38.7 billion. The Parent Company is a Swedish public limited company with Group headquarters in Solna, Sweden. Visit us at www.postnord.com