Graduate success fills the Guildhall
Southampton Guildhall will become a hive of excitement this month, as more than 2500 students will be gowning-up and getting ready to graduate with degrees and professional qualifications from Southampton Solent University.
Ten ceremonies over five days from 18-22 November will showcase new graduate talent ranging from journalism to sport science, fashion to yacht-design, and business management to TV and film production.
Southampton Solent University Chancellor, Admiral The Right Honourable Lord West of Spithead, and the new Chair of the Board of Governors, Jonathan Cheshire, will preside over the university’s vibrant graduation ceremonies.
Graduates will be able to share their experience with friends and relatives from across the globe via a live webcast, which will also be available to view on mobile and tablet devices.
Professor Van Gore, Vice-Chancellor of Southampton Solent University says: “The graduation ceremonies are the highlight of the university year, when we celebrate the achievements of our students and our staff. This is an exciting time for our graduands and a very proud time for their family and friends, as well as for all of us at Solent.
Professor Gore, who steps down in 2014, added “During my seven years as Vice-Chancellor I have watched with great pride our students grow and develop into industry–ready professionals, who combine academic excellence and the real-world experience vital for their future careers. Warmest congratulations to everyone who is graduating this year and I look forward to seeing the future successes of this large and dynamic year of graduates.”
Southampton Solent University will also be presenting honorary degrees to the following academics and professionals who have made an outstanding contribution in their field of expertise.
- Colin Lester, global music management CEO (Doctor of Music)
- Ricky Boleto, Television presenter, newsreader, journalist and Solent graduate (Master of Arts)
- David Jamilly, Co-founder of one of Europe’s most successful events companies (Doctor of Business)
- Eileen Cooper RA, renowned artist and first woman to be appointed an Officer of the Royal Academy (Doctor of Arts)
- Geoff Quinn, CEO of well-known retailer T.M.Lewin (Doctor of Fashion)
- Helena Lucas MBE, gold medal sailing Paralympian (Doctor of Sport)
- Hon Rear Admiral Sir Donald Gosling KCVO RNR (Honorary Doctor of Maritime Studies)
- Jimmy Chestnutt, Chief Executive for Hampshire Chamber of Commerce, (Doctor of Business)
- Malcolm Vincent, maritime engineer and a trustee of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (Doctor of Engineering)
- Jojar Heera Singh Taak, Chairman of the Hampshire Asian Network, Solicitor and Solent graduate (Master of Laws)
- Martyn Phillips, CEO of the UK’s largest home improvement retailer B&Q (Doctor of Business)
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT THE MEDIA OFFICE ON 023 8031 9079
Notes to editors:
Media releases and images for each of the honorary degree recipients are available on request. Interview and picture requests with any of this year’s honorary degree recipients, should be made to the university’s media office prior to the ceremonies.
About Southampton Solent University
Southampton Solent University offers more than 23,000 students over 200 qualifications ranging from HND to PhD, in subjects such as maritime education and training, fashion and design, media and television, music, health, sport and leisure, business, IT and technology.
The university was awarded the 2013 Quality Assurance kitemark for quality and standards of teaching and learning. Solent was voted one of the most creative universities in the UK in a Which? University 2013 poll of students.