Starbreeze in collaboration with Tobii to integrate its world-leading eye tracking technology into the unique 210-degree, 5K resolution StarVR HMD
Eye tracking is set to further revolutionize virtual reality application where the user’s eye movements and reactions can trigger different reactions and paths in the experience. Most importantly, the implementation of foveated rendering (Gaze Prioritized Graphics), or computational graphics, can occur when the device knows the specific area the user is currently looking. With foveated rendering, StarVR will not need to sacrifice any of its graphics quality or resolution in order to accommodate the large FOV found in VR HMDs, ensuring a consistent, top-quality experience for users.
“We’re still in early development of our StarVR HMD and are therefore looking for best in class solutions to the components that we believe make the best VR experiences there is” said Emmanuel Marquez, CTO of Starbreeze AB. He continued” Eye tracking technology in a VR HMD will let us customize the experiences and enable even further immersion.
“Starbreeze is known for creating killer, high-quality consumer experiences, which is what attracted us to this collaboration,” said Oscar Werner, president of Tobii Tech. “The ambition is to deliver the most immersive and realistic experiences with the highest graphical standards and eye tracking components for an unparalleled VR HMD.”
Examples of Eye Tracking Enhancements to Virtual Reality
- Gaze-prioritized graphics (also known as foveated rendering)– VR graphics can be improved and optimized by, for instance, rendering graphics with higher resolution in the region where the user is looking.
- VR comfort – Comfort in the VR experience can be improved by more precise graphics rendering based on data about the position and direction of the eyes.
- Gamingimmersion – Harnessing natural eye movement, environments and characters can be made more realistic and interactive in games through:
- Natural targeting– To pick up or throw an object, instead of pointing towards the object through head movement, users only need to look at the object to interact with it. This interaction is natural, intuitive and seamless because it so closely mimics real life.
- Eye contact– This fundamental non-verbal communication is critical to our interaction with others. Bringing the same principle to character interaction in a film or game makes users even more deeply immersed. Characters can come to life, interact or ignore you based on eye contact.
- Immersive graphics and sound– Scary or surprising reactions can be created by knowing what users are paying attention to. Sounds, for instance and characters may appear from where users are not currently
###For more information, please contact:
Maeva Sponbergs, Investor Relations, Starbreeze AB Tel: +46(0)8-209 208, email: email@example.com
Stephan Floyd, Marketing Manager, Tobii Tech, +1-781-223-2005, email: Stephan.Floyd@tobii.com
Sara Hyléen, Corporate Communications Director, Tobii AB, +46 70 9161641, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brief information about Starbreeze:
Starbreeze is an independent creator, publisher and distributor of high quality entertainment products. With studios in Stockholm, Paris and Los Angeles, the company creates games by own design and through licensed content, aiming to create franchises that prosper as games and elsewhere. We live and die by gameplay.
Starbreeze's most recent games include PAYDAY 2, the adrenaline fueled bank robbing co-op game and the upcoming survival co-op FPS OVERKILL’s The Walking Dead based on the hit comic series. Starbreeze is pioneering digital self-publishing, inviting developers to leverage its self-publishing knowhow on Steam, having one of the largest communities on the digital distribution platform.
Next, Starbreeze is set to develop truly immersive virtual reality experiences, integrating software and hardware in the Project StarVR and the StarVR head mounted display.
Headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden, Starbreeze's shares are listed on Nasdaq Stockholm First North Premier under the tickers STAR A and STAR B with the ISIN-codes SE0007158928 (A-share) and SE0005992831 (B-share). Remium Nordic is the company's Certified Adviser.
For more information, please visit http://www.www.starbreeze.com.
Tobii is the global leader in eye tracking. Our vision is a world where all technology works in harmony with natural human behavior. Tobii operates through three business units: Tobii Dynavox makes specially designed computers that are controlled by eye movement or touch screens for use by people with special needs due to spinal cord injuries, CP, ALS or other medical conditions. Tobii Pro develops and sells eye-tracking equipment and services used today by more than 2,000 companies and 1,500 research institutions, including 49 of the world’s 50 highest ranked universities. Tobii Tech further develops Tobii’s technology for new volume markets such as computer games, personal computers and vehicles. Tobii is headquartered in Sweden and is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm (TOBII). The group has approximately 600 employees. For more information, please visit www.tobii.com.