Volvo sells electric bus system to Luxembourg
Volvo has received an order for 5 electric hybrid buses from bus operator AVL (Autobus de la ville de Luxembourg). Electric bus chargers will be supplied by ABB. The order is a result of Luxembourg’s investment in sustainable mobility.
Luxembourg was one of the first cities in Europe to implement buses with hybrid technology. In 2011, the first Volvo hybrids were delivered, today 14 Volvo 7900 Hybrids operate in the city. Luxembourg City and AVL now takes the next step in electrification of the public transport system with the purchase of five Volvo 7900 Electric Hybrids and ABB bus chargers to be delivered towards the end of 2016. One of the bus chargers will be placed at the central station in Luxembourg.
AVL buys the bus system as a turn-key solution. Volvo will be responsible for vehicle servicing including battery maintenance for a fixed monthly cost.
“The decision to operate the first electric hybrid plug-in buses by the end of 2016 in the City of Luxembourg perfectly aligns with our continuous efforts to create a sustainable city. The society will immediately benefit from this project through a cleaner environment, reduced noise levels and increased comfort during bus journeys. This ambitious pioneering project represents the starting point in our endeavour to a zero emission urban bus system for the City of Luxembourg in the near future”, says Sam Tanson, First Deputy Mayor of the City of Luxembourg, in charge of Finance and Mobility.
“We are very pleased to see that the City of Luxembourg is now taking the next step in electrification with our electric hybrids. Electric bus systems is a cost-efficient solution for cities to reduce the problems of poor air quality and noise. Emission-free, silent buses also open up entirely new possibilities for urban planning”, says Håkan Agnevall, President Volvo Buses.
Luxembourg is investing to become leading in sustainable mobility. The sector has been identified as one of the most promising sectors in Luxembourg’s strategy for the diversification and greening of the economy. Around 160,000 people commute to and from Luxembourg City every day. The government wants to reduce the environmental impact and the volume of traffic. The goal is to cut overall carbon dioxide emissions by at least 20 per cent by 2020.
Volvo 7900 Electric Hybrid
- Can be powered by electricity for up to 70 % of operating time.
- Quiet and exhaust-free when running on electricity.
- 60 % lower energy consumption1 than a corresponding diesel bus.
- 75–90 % lower emissions of carbon dioxide1 compared with a conventional diesel bus, depending on the fuel used.
- Equipped with an electric motor, batteries and a small diesel engine
- The batteries are recharged at the end terminals in a few minutes.
1)Estimated value on a city bus route of 10 kilometres, compared to a diesel bus Euro 6.
ABB bus chargers
- Easy to integrate into existing bus lines (inverted pantograph enables use of a low-cost and low weight interface on roof of the bus)
- Modular design offering charging power of 150 kW, 300 kW or 450 kW
- ABB’s proven suite of connectivity features enables maximum availability, high uptime and fast service response.
- Based on IEC 61851-23, the international standard for fast charging of electric vehicles ensuring the appropriate safety systems are in place, the electrical design is in accordance with regulations, and the systems architecture and working principle are supported by wider automotive community in future.
Fore more information, please contact:
Helena Lind, Media Relations, Volvo Buses
Tel: +46 (0) 31-323 62 57
Volvo Buses is one of the world’s leading bus manufacturers, with a strong focus on vehicles and systems for long-term sustainable public transport. The product range includes complete transport solutions, city buses, intercity buses and tourist coaches, as well as services in financing, vehicle servicing, vehicle diagnostics and traffic information. Volvo Buses is part of Volvo Group, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of trucks, buses and construction machines as well as drive systems for marine and industrial applications. Volvo Group also provides complete financing solutions. For more information visit http://www.volvobuses.com